List of The Seven Deadly Sins characters
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
The Seven Deadly Sins is a manga series written and illustrated by Nakaba Suzuki, set in a fictitious Britannia (ブリタニア, Buritania) in a time period superficially akin to the European Middle Ages. Likewise superficially, and frequently in ironic or contradictory ways, the series references various traditions, including Christianity (e.g., The Seven Deadly Sins, the Ten Commandments) and the Arthurian legend (e.g., in naming Meliodas, Escanor, Merlin, Diane, Gowther, King, and Ban). The contradictory nature of the names given to the groups and characters is reflected in the emergence of the title group as the protagonists and the group of "Holy Knights" as the antagonists of the series.
In accordance with the medieval theme, many of The Seven Deadly Sins are depicted as knights, broadly construed, who are clad in stylized variations of medieval armor, many of whom perform magic. The five major clans in the series are Humans, Giants, Fairies, Goddess, and Demons, all of which possess powerful abilities and magical powers. In naming the characters, the manga offers a wide variety of further mythical, historical, geographical, and cultural allusions, e.g., King Arthur, Merlin, Gowther, Zaratras (Zoroaster), Dreyfus, Gustaf, Frisia, Jericho, Galand, Derierrie, Albions, The Vampires, and Zhivago.
Meliodas (メリオダス, Meriodasu) is the leader of the Seven Deadly Sins, who bears the sin of wrath as a Dragon symbol on his left shoulder. Despite being called the Sin of Wrath, displaying it whenever those dear to him are endangered or killed, Meliodas conceals his rage under the façade of a mellow trickster who is often seen fondling Elizabeth one way or another. When found by Elizabeth at the start of the series, who seeks his help in reuniting the Deadly Sins after their disbandment ten years prior, Meliodas reveals to be doing the same thing. Despite his adolescent appearance, Meliodas is actually a Demon who is over three thousand years old. Meliodas is later revealed to be the son of the Demon King and original leader of the Ten Commandants, possessing the fragment of his father's soul embodying Love.[vol. 34] But Meliodas turned his back on his people when he fell in love with the Goddess Elizabeth, killing two of his fellow Commandments and causing the Holy War to occur.[vol. 22] The Demon King allowed the Supreme Deity of the Goddess race to curse Meliodas with immortality, with the Demon King cursing Elizabeth with perpetual death and reincarnation to make his son suffer every time he is reunited with her.[vol. 27] Due to the curse's nature, Meliodas' soul ends up in Purgatory with the Demon King feasting on his emotions before reviving him, gradually reverting to his former self as a result.[vol. 24]
After Elizabeth begins regaining her memories as the goddess Elizabeth, Meliodas resolves to become the new demon king to break their curses. He disbands the Deadly Sins and enters an alliance with Zeldris after promising to use his status to release his brother's love Gelda, revealing to have absorbed the Commandment of Pacifism and intending to absorb the other commandments.[vol. 30] Despite becoming a vessel for the Demon King before managing to force him out of his body, Meliodas freed him and Elizabeth from their curses though he would leave the living world because his power as a demon king.[vol. 36, 37] But the victory is short-lived as the Demon King possesses Zeldris and restores Elizabeth's curse, prompting the Sins' final battle with the Demon King.[vol. 38] After killing his father, Meliodas sacrifices his demon king powers to completely destroy the commandments to prevent the Demon King from reviving.[ch. 332]
As Seven Deadly Sins' captain once revered by his kin as the most powerful demon, Meliodas is immensely powerful and agile. His signature ability is called Full Counter (全反撃（フルカウンター）, Furu Kauntā), which reflects magical attacks back at the attacker with far greater power, the only drawbacks being that he can only use it as a counter and that it is ineffective against physical attacks. Meliodas can also tap into his demonic power, manifesting versatile dark energy from his body to increase his offense and defense at the cost of entering a berserk state. Meliodas initially carried a sword hilt called the Dragon Handle before it was stolen by Helbram and later revealed to be a fragment of the Coffin of Eternal Darkness, which was used to seal away the Demon clan. He later regains his Sacred Treasure Demon Sword Lostvayne (魔剣 ロストヴェイン, Maken Rosutovein), a curved short-sword that allows him to create up to four weaker clones of himself that compensate for their lack in power by using Full Counter to its full potential.
Elizabeth Liones (エリザベス・リオネス, Erizabesu Rionesu) is originally from the Kingdom of Danafor before it was destroyed. She was adopted by Baltra Liones as the third princess of Liones. She becomes an ally of the Seven Deadly Sins when seeking their help after the Great Holy Knights seized control of the kingdom, serving as a waitress in Meliodas' bar. Despite being frail and not a fighter, Elizabeth is very courageous and willing to protect others at the cost of her own health, like allowing Hendrickson to acquire her blood to free the Demon Race from the Coffin of Eternal Darkness. Still, being only a teenager, she is fairly gullible and easily influenced, often tricked by Meliodas' jokes. She doesn't seem to mind how often he caresses, molests, or harasses her sexually, however, and has even fallen in love with him due to a sense of familiarity with and nostalgia for him.
Elizabeth is later revealed to be the 107th reincarnation of the Goddess Elizabeth,but as story's will tell making her not a true goddess just a remake so in reality shes just a normal human like everyone else in a interview it was stated shes not truly a goddess since a reincarnation of a god and goddess will never have original DNA Meliodas' first love and daughter of the Supreme Deity of the Goddess Race. But their forbidden romance ended with her killed and cursed by the Demon King to reincarnate endlessly as a means to further punish Meliodas by forcing him to watch Elizabeth endlessly die in various ways and find her all over again. This enables Elizabeth to miraculously heal the living through her right eye's tears, later manifesting abilities that only those of the Goddess Race possess at times of great stress. Elizabeth eventually regains full memory of her previous incarnations and her full Goddess power is unleashed, activating her curse to kill her three days as the New Holy War is able to commence. This forces Meliodas to take a gambit of acquiring his father's power to break Elizabeth's curse, with Merlin briefly restoring the curse in secret as a means to force Meliodas to kill his father.
Hawk (ホーク, Hōku) is a talking Gloucestershire old spots pig and Meliodas's pet/companion, introduced as the Boar Hat's 'captain of the Order of Scraps Disposal' as he eats the disgusting table scraps. Hawk found Meliodas in a ditch sixteen years prior, and the two established a mobile bar together, having been together ever since. They often engage in harmless banter, with Hawk frequently seen scolding Meliodas for his perverted actions towards Elizabeth. Though mostly serving as comic relief by acting overly arrogant, he yet aids Elizabeth and the Sins several times, utilizing headbutts and other modest attacks on weaker enemies and transporting wounded allies. In the Kingdom Infiltration Arc, Hawk sacrifices himself to block a fatal attack of Hendrickson's aimed at Meliodas, and his death caused much anguish for Elizabeth and the Sins. But Hawk mysteriously revives from his remains as a piglet before regaining his normal size through excessive eating. Besides Meliodas, Hawk gets particularly well along with Ban and Merlin. Later, the latter equips him with a Balor Power Eye that allows him to detect the power level of anyone he sees. During his training in Istal, Hawk learns that he temporarily acquires the traits of whatever magical creature he eats, obtaining their powers until he digests them. It is later revealed that Hawk is a denizen of Purgatory and the younger brother of Wild, the latest of the creatures that the Demon King used as a means of spying on Meliodas from Purgatory.
The Seven Deadly Sins
The Seven Deadly Sins (七つの大罪, Nanatsu no Taizai) were the strongest and cruelest order of Holy Knights in the kingdom, formed by Meliodas and six other brutal criminals from various races who were branded symbols of beasts to symbolize the sin that motivated their crimes. Each of the members of the group had the highest Holy Knight ranking, Diamond. They were branded as traitors to Britannia, having allegedly abetted the assassination of the Great Holy Knight Zaratras. The Deadly Sins are eventually absolved of their crimes after liberating Liones from rule of the Holy Knights.
- Voiced by: Aoi Yūki (Japanese); Erica Mendez (English)
- Diane (ディアンヌ, Diannu), standing thirty-feet tall, is a 750 year-old member of the Giants' Clan from the land of Megadoza, who bears the Sin of Envy, symbolized by a Serpent symbol tattooed on her left thigh. Unlike her more violent kinsmen who make a living as mercenaries, Diane dislikes fighting. Having run away from home, she came upon King by chance, and the two spent centuries together before he erased her memories of him, and she returned to her tribe soon after.[vol. 10] She later became an apprentice of her chieftain Matrona, alongside Dolores, and accompanied Matrona when she was hired by a Holy Knight unit under the command of Gannon, who actually intended to kill the giants and make name for himself. It ended with Matrona seemingly dying from being poisoned and slaughtering the knights with Diane ending up in Liones' custody and falsely excused of both the knights' slaughter and murdering Matrona in an act of envy. She was recruited by Meliodas before her execution could be carried out.[vol. 16] Following the Deadly Sins' disbandment, Diane hid in the Forest of White Dreams before Meliodas and Elizabeth recruit her, Diane having feelings for the former for treating her like an equal and being initially jealous whenever he flirts with Elizabeth.[vol. 1, 2] But after being impressed with Elizabeth's selflessness before regaining her memories of her time with King, Diane becomes very good friends with Elizabeth.
- As a Giant, Diane is incredibly strong with a deep connection to nature which allows her to manipulate the earth with her race's ability Creation (創造（クリエイション）, Sōzō (Kurieishon)). Diane retains her strength and agility even when human-sized while participating in a fighting festival under Matrona's name, quickly defeating ten men and hardening her skin, thereby making it as hard as iron to enhance her durability and strength.[vol. 5] Her sacred treasure is Gideon, a 2200 pound war-hammer that enhances Diane's earth manipulation powers to a point where a single swing can lift a mountain into the air.
- Voiced by: Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Japanese); Ben Diskin (English)
- Ban (バン), is a member of the Deadly Sins and bears the Sin of Greed, symbolized by Fox symbol tattooed above the left side of his waist. Despite being a good-natured person, he is the Sins' most immoral member and infamous as a legendary bandit. At times, the team thinks of him as annoying and very immature. He had taken to a life of thievery at a young age under the tutelage of Zhivago (for example he stole clothes). Years later, Ban learned of the Fountain of Youth and attempted to become immortal so he would live long enough for "something good to happen to him". However, Ban changed his mind when the fountain's guardian Elaine revealed the forest would die if he drank the liquid. He fell in love with the fairy over seven days. She was grateful for him, as her brother had left her alone for seven hundred years prior to meeting Ban. A red demon appeared soon after and in an attempt to kill it, Ban and Elaine were fatally wounded. However, Elaine saved Ban by giving him the liquid from the fountain through a kiss. As she was dying, she gave him an Almoca Seed, which he uses to create a new Sacred Tree. Ban was falsely accused by the Liones Kingdom of destroying and stealing from the previous fountain; he was later recruited by Meliodas after surviving numerous executions.[vol. 5] Following the Deadly Sins' disbandment, Ban allowed himself to be captured and held captive within Baste Dungeon, which he escaped occasionally so he could tend to the Sacred Tree. He was later nicknamed “King Ban” by the fairy race for his actions. He eventually rejoins the Deadly Sins and serves as a cook in the Boar Hat, whilst getting into occasional confrontations with Meliodas and King. During the New Holy War, after returning from Purgatory with Meliodas' emotions, Ban uses his experience there to transfer his immortality into Elaine to save her life. [vol. 36]
- Being immortal, Ban is unaffected by fatigue or need of sustenance. Ban heals from any wound, regardless of the severity. In addition, his blood has healing properties due to his immortality. His trademark ability is Snatch (強奪（スナッチ）, Sunatchi), which allows him to rob others of their possessions and even physical abilities as he can temporarily sap another's physical strength and speed. Ban also shows some skill with weaponry in the present, particularly with a three-section staff very similar in appearance to a nunchaku. His sacred treasure Courechouse is a four-sectioned staff that was ironically stolen from him during the Deadly Sins' disbandment.
- Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama (Japanese); Max Mittelman (English)
- The fairy King キング (Kingu), his real name being Fairy King Harlequin (妖精王 ハーレクイン, Yōseiō Hārekuin), is the 1300-year-old member of the Fairy Race who bears the Sin of Sloth, symbolized by Grizzly bear symbol tattooed just above his left ankle. He is portrayed as the group's 'straight man' while often getting caught up in the others' shenanigans. Originally the third king of the Fairy King's Forest, King forsook his duties when he left his domain to rescue his friend Helbram from human abductors and he was saved by Diane after being inflicted with amnesia-inducing injuries. Centuries after regaining his memories and realizing his amnesia was caused by a maddened Helbram, King is forced to kill his friend to cease his human killing spree. He then erased Diane's memories of him before being sentenced by Liones to a 1000-year imprisonment for failing to stop Helbram in time and abandoning his duties as king, with the Fairy King's Forest eventually being destroyed by a demon that would kill his sister Elaine.[vol. 10] After joining the Seven Deadly Sins, King would occasionally disguise himself as a slovenly over-weighted man to keep Diane from remembering him. Following the Deadly Sins' disbandment, King finally learned of his homeland's destruction while believing Ban was responsible. He crosses paths with the Sins when they heard he took refuge in the Necropolis, reluctantly rejoining the group once learning the truth behind his sister's death.[vol. 4] Despite Diane's affection towards Meliodas, King remains devoted to her as she eventually regains her memories of their time together.
- Like members of the fairy race, King has the ability to levitate and float through the air, as well as being able to levitate certain objects and manipulate their trajectory without the need of making physical contact. King also possesses a sacred treasure called Spirit Spear, Chastiefol (霊槍シャスティフォル, Reisō Shasutiforu). A spear crafted from a sacred tree only found in the Fairy Realm, it is much stronger than steel and possesses the mysterious qualities of the tree, which King's ability, Disaster (災厄（ディザスター）, Dizasutā), draws out. At will, King can instantly change Chastiefol into one of several different forms, including a pillow which can act as a shield, different forms of spears (one of which can turn an enemy to stone), a massive flower sprouted from the earth that projects an enormous energy beam, and even a large stuffed grizzly bear. But despite his impressive magical abilities and able to move at speeds while in midair, King is physically weak and unable to hold his own in a fight while unarmed.
- King was voted the most popular character by a large margin in a Weekly Shōnen Magazine character poll for the series, with close to four times as many votes as Ban, who came in second place.
- Voiced by: Yuhei Takagi (Japanese); Erik Scott Kimerer (English)
- Gowther (ゴウセル, Gōseru) is a member of the Deadly Sins who bears the Sin of lust, symbolized by the Goat symbol tattooed above his breast; he is an androgynous and bespectacled bookworm with pink hair who originally clad himself in a massive suit of armor Merlin designed to stabilize his power due to his unstable mind. He is first seen as emotionless and analytically stoic while also very socially inept as his curiosity often has him performing highly questionable actions, such as manipulating the memories of others. At the time he was discovered, being a skilled actor when he feels like it, he was living under the alias Alan and traveling with a Holy Knight named Dale whom he clad in his armor on to contain the knight's transformation into a demon.
- Gowther is later revealed to be an animated doll created by his namesake, a demon sorcerer forced to bear the Demon King's soul fragment bearing Selflessness (無欲, Muyoku), which causes those inflicted by it to lose their sense of self. While modeled after his creator's lover Glariza to serve as his proxy in the Ten Commandments. Gowther received free will before helping his creator end the Holy War by rewriting Mael's identity.[vol. 34] Gowther disappeared afterward, found centuries later in the cellar of Liones Castle by Batra's sister Princess Nadja, whom Gowther fell in love with. While Nadja returned the sentiment, she died from an illness while resting against Gowther. Gowther tried reviving her with his magic heart, a charm that he was told gives him his emotions, but it failed to resurrect her while making it appear that he sadistically murdered her. Gowther accepted the blame out of guilt while discarding his magic heart to render himself emotionless to no longer feel the pain of losing Nadja. It was only after learning that King and Diane were searching for his magic heart that Gowther learned that it was only a placebo to begin with and begins accepting his emotions, allowing him to be more sociable while using his power to its full extent without trouble.
- Gowther's special ability, Invasion, is a versatile ability that enables him to invade a person's mind and manipulate it in various ways that include memory alteration, forcing opponents to relive their worse moments, and telepathically relaying coordinated battle plans to his allies almost instantaneously. As a doll, Gowther has shown a high level of resilience to attacks normally fatal to humans like decapitation. His sacred treasure is Herritt, which takes the form of twin bows made of light which greatly enhances the spread and range of his Invasion. Like Hawk, Gowther is equipped with a Balor Power Eye that allows him to detect the overall power level of anyone in his vicinity.
- Voiced by: Maaya Sakamoto (Japanese); Lauren Landa (English)
- Merlin (マーリン, Mārin) a cool and calculative member of the Deadly Sins who bears the Sin of Gluttony, symbolized by the Boar symbol tattooed above her neck, normally in the form of an attractive raven-haired woman in skimpy clothing, Merlin is a 3000-year-old witch known as the Daughter of Belialuin as her true name is unpronounceable by humans. Trained by her father the chief sage and the demon wizard Gowther, Merlin possessed vast magical potential and was raised as a weapon for her peoples' use against the higher ranking goddesses and demons. She fled Belialuin and crossed paths with Meliodas whom she fell in love, motivating her to assume an adult form and use a combination of the Infinity and Chrono Coffin (時の棺 (クロノ・コフィン), Kurono Kofin) spells to render herself an ageless immortal.[ch. 337] She bore no animosity towards Meliodas and Elizabeth when they fell in love with each other, treating the latter like a sister. Merlin lives up to her sin with her obsession of filling the void in her heart when she learned of Chaos and resolves to release the entity from its seal, causing Belialuin's destruction when exploited the recruitment attempts of the Demon King and the Supreme Deity to increase her power with added immunity to their factions' powers.
- After enlisting the giant Dabuzu to create the Coffin of Eternal Darkness in order to seal away the Demons and the Supreme Deity, Merlin wandered Brittania before reuniting with Meliodas and helping him establish the Seven Deadly Sins as a means to eliminate either the Demon King or the Supreme Deity to cause the imbalance needed for her agenda. When the Sins were accused of killing Zaratras, Merlin knocked Meliodas out to extract most of his power as a precautionary measure due to the wrath and destruction Meliodias released upon the death of one of Elizabeth's reincarnations. Before returning to the Sins, Merlin positioned herself as mentor to a young Arthur Pendragon. While on somewhat friendly terms with the other Deadly Sins, Merlin seemed to particularly enjoy Escanor's unrequited feelings for her. Following the death of the Demon King, having influenced events of the group's final battles by reactivating Elizabeth's reincarnation curse, Merlin reveals her true reasons for aiding the Sins when she conducts a ritual to resurrect Arthur as a vessel of Chaos. The other Sins feel betrayed after learning Merlin's story from the Lady of the Lake.[ch. 335, 337]
- Merlin has mastery over a vast repertoire of spells with flight, illusions, and telekinesis among them. She can maintain any spell indefinitely regardless of its mana cost through her ability Infinity. Through the Demon King's and Supreme Deity's boons, with immunity to being manipulated by goddesses and any form of curse, Merlin acquires spells exclusive to the Demon and Goddess races like Perfect Cube, a Demon spell which encases and traps a small area in a cube-like barrier that is impervious to virtually any attack. Merlin's Sacred Treasure is a crystal ball known as Morning Star Aldan (明星 アルダン, Myōjō Arudan), which allows her to perceive anything or transfer her consciousness into it, which she makes use of when her body is temporarily turned to stone by Galand's commandment.
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita (Japanese); Kyle Hebert (English)
- Escanor (エスカノール, Esukanōru), a member of the Deadly who bears the Sin of Pride, symbolized by the Lion symbol tattooed on his back, the middle-aged Escanor was originally a prince of the Kingdom of Castellio until he was disowned and driven from his homeland due to his inability to control his monstrous strength, with a woman named Rosa helping him escape via the sea in a barrel. He had been traveling alone ever since, helping wherever he goes but driven off by fearful townsfolk. He later ended up joining the Seven Deadly Sins as their final member when he ended up in Liones, making him feel welcome as he fell in love with Merlin and later played a role in devastating Edinburgh Castle during the Deadly Sins' battle with the vampires. Following the group's disbandment, Escanor opened a secret tavern in the mountains where he remained until Ban found him by accident. Escanor rejoins the Deadly Sins soon after and lives in the aftermath of the group's final battle against the Demon King.[ch. 333]
- For reasons unknown, Escanor acquired Archangel Mael's Grace Sunshine (太陽（サンシャイン）, Sanshain), which increases his physical strength depending on the position of the sun at the cost of making him overconfident. Escanor reaches his full power for one minute of noon when the sun is at its zenith, exceeding every living being on the planet as power incarnate known as "The One". Escanor can also use this ability to emit sunlight from his body so as to destroy nearly everything in close proximity. Escanor's sacred treasure is Rhitta, a massive ornate one-handed axe with a crescent blade created by "the maiden loved by the sun". At night, he cannot even lift the weapon off the ground, but he can easily grasp with a single hand the moment it becomes dawn. He can summon Rhitta to his side at a moment's notice and is able to store sunlight within it for later use.
The Demons clan are a race of humanoid beings who were at odds with the Goddess race 3,000 years ago until Meliodas' actions caused his people to wage war against the Goddesses and Stigma, an alliance of the Human, Giant, Fairy races. The demons were sealed away, only to be released into Britannia through the machinations of the demon Fraudrin. The high-ranking Demons possess seven hearts, making them difficult to kill.
The Demon King
- Voiced by: Shōzō Iizuka
The Demon King (魔神王, Majin-ō) is the ruler of the Demon Clan, and being the father of Meliodas and Zeldris as well as the one who cursed Elizabeth with reincarnation. Like the Supreme Deity, he was created by the entity Chaos whom they sealed away.[ch. 337] Due to his power being potent enough to wipe out Britannia, he is physically forced to remain in Purgatory. He is also the creator and leader of the Ten Commandments, handpicking its members and granted them their Commandments to condition them as potential vessels to transfer his spirit once one among them absorbed all the Commandant sigils.[vol. 36] During the New Holy War, the Demon King manages to possess Meliodas when he absorbed the Commandants and engages his son in the metaphysical battle while battling his comrades and mortally wounding Zeldris. Though purged from Meliodas, the Demon King's spirit was able to take over Zeldris's body with Cusack's help before engaging the Seven Deadly Sins in an epic battle.[vol. 37-39] The Demon King is eventually exorcised from Zeldris, forcing the entity to create a body from the surrounding countryside before Meliodas destroys his father for good.[ch. 332] However, the Demon King's death causes an imbalance that weakened the he and the Supreme Deity placed on Chaos.[ch. 337]
The Ten Commandments
Ten elite demons selected personally by the Demon King, they were originally led by Meliodas 3000 years prior before he fell in love with Elizabeth, which caused the Holy War. Each of the Ten Commandments can make use of a curse which plays on the virtue that they represent. The Commandments are named after virtues they are branded with, later revealed to be fragments of the Demon King's soul, which play on the nature of their curses. A commandment's sigil passes to whomever defeats the current holder or receives it willingly, with the one who possesses all ten sigils gaining power equal to the Demon King's yet subject to becoming his vessel.[vol. 36] The Commandment sigils are eventually destroyed when Meliodas permanently destroys the Demon King.[ch. 332]
- Zeldris (ゼルドリス, Zerudorisu)
- Voiced by: Yūki Kaji (Japanese); Bryce Papenbrook (English)
- The Ten Commandments' acting leader and Meliodas' younger brother, bearing the sigil of Piety which turns those who turn their back on him into obedient servants to him and the Demon King, by extension. This ability relates to Zeldris' resentment towards Meliodas before betraying their father despite the Demon King's still wanting his older brother to become the new Demon King. Though having acquired the other sigils, Zeldris gives them to Meliodas after his brother promised to use his power as Demon King to revive the vampire Gelda whom Zeldris developed feeling for. But Zeldris realizes the truth of the Demon King's succession as he is mortally wounded helping the Deadly Sins save Meliodas from the Demon King's possession. But Cusack unknowingly makes Zeldris his father's new body in the aftermath of the New Holy War.[vol. 36, 37] Luckily, the Deadly Sins manage to free Zeldris as he and a revived Gelda take their leave after the Demon King is destroyed.[ch. 333]
- Fraudrin (フラウドリン, Furaudorin)
- Voiced by: Hidenobu Kiuchi, Katsuyuki Konishi (Dreyfus) (Japanese); Chris Cason, Jamieson Price (Dreyfus) (English)
- An upper-class demon resembling a purple spiked giant with a mouth on his chest, he was previously a general during the ancient war before being promoted to a substitute Commandment following Gowther's disappearance, despite not receiving the Demon King's soul fragment representing Selflessness. Fraudrin is the cause of the Danafall Kingdom's destruction, having accidentally been released from the Coffin of Eternal Darkness together with other low-class demons, only to be nearly killed when Meliodas' rage vaporized the kingdom after Fraudrin murdered Liz. This forced a weakened Fraudrin to possess the body of Dreyfus when he and Hendrickson were sent to investigate the ruins, using the two humans in a scheme to get revenge on Meliodas while bringing the rest of the demons back to Britannia.[vol. 16] Pretending to be Dreyfus until the Ten Commandments were freed, he developed an emotional attachment to Dreyfus' son Griamore as a result; Fraudrin rejoins the group to replenish his strength while revealing his substitute status while in the Pleiades of the Azure Sky's custody. During the Commandments' attack on Liones, Zaratras and Hendrickson eventually exorcise Fraudrin with the demon ending up fighting Meliodas. Fraudrin attempts to self-destruct and take Liones with him but stops at Griamore's pleas, realizing Meliodas' motivation for betraying their people and allowing him to end his life.[vol. 24]
- Estarossa (エスタロッサ, Esatarossa)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Tōchi (Japanese); David Vincent (English)
- The normally laid-back adopted brother of Zeldris and Meliodas, possessing a version of the latter's Full Counter ability that allows him to reflect physical attacks. Estarossa is later revealed to be originally Archangel Mael (マエル, Mairu) of the Goddess Race who possess the Grace Sunshine (太陽, Taiyō) which increases his power while exposed to sunlight. Being among those who slaughtered unarmed demons at the start of the Holy War, Mael's identity was rewritten by the Commandant Gowther to have him take Meliodas' place in the Ten Commandants as the holder of the Demon King's soul fragment representing Love (慈愛, Jiai), enabling him to nullify any damage by those with hatred in their hearts. But traces of Estarossa's former identity linger as retain his love with Elizabeth and his deep-seated grudge toward Meliodas for stealing her heart, which strengthened his false memories.
- Being easily defeated by a fully powered Escanor during the siege of Liones since his opponent did not harbour any hatred towards him, Estarossa learns of Zeldris's alliance with Meliodas to make the latter the new Demon King and acts against them by taking Galand and Monspeet's Commandments. Through restored to his true identity after absorbing them, the commandments drive Mael mad as he kills Derieri for her Commandment and then Oslo before being defeated. After Gowther helps him expel the commandments, Mael uses a spell to enable Oslo and Derieri to reincarnate with their memories intact.[vol. 33, 34] Mael then joins the Deadly Sins to end the new Holy War and stop the Demon King to atone for his role in the previous Holy War.
- Galand (ガラン, Garan)
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Iwasaki (Japanese); Kirk Thornton (English)
- A gangly and arrogant cyborg-like demon with blood-lust who is clad in an red steel-armor and armed with a halberd, Galand possesses the fragment of the Demon King's soul representing Truth (真実, Shinjitsu), which petrifies whomsoever lies to him. A power which would also consume him should he break his own promise. After being revived, through not yet back at full power, Galand decides to attack Camelot as a warm-up upon learning Meliodas is there. Subjecting Merlin to his commandment's power when she attempts to stall for time after he killed most of Camelot's knights, Galand takes his leave after Gowther manipulates him into thinking that he killed the Deadly Sins and Slader.[vol. 15, 16] After being easily overpowered by Meliodas after he regains his full powers, Galand accompanies Melascula to Raven, where they begin to hunt Ban, Jericho, and Elaine.[vol. 18] The search takes the demons to Escanor's bar, with Galand showing his love for alcohol and challenging Escanor to a "game" in which the two would take turns hitting each other with their weapons until one would end up dead. Despite being split in half by the Sin of Pride, he regenerates and uses his most powerful ability "Critical Over" to try and finish off Escanor, only to see that his attack barely managed to scratch him. Galand ignores Melascula's warnings out of pride before attempting to flee as Escanor was about to finish him and is petrified as a result.[vol. 19] Galand remained conscious and is later found by Estarossa, who shatters him in order to acquire his Commandment.
- Monspeet (モンスピート, Monsupīto)
- Voiced by: Kenjiro Tsuda (Japanese); Keith Silverstein (English)
- A sophisticated, human-looking demon with a thin moustache and purple hair. He's a gentleman of sorts and is usually close to Derieri. He represents the Commandment of Reticence. He is seen utilizing long-ranged fire-based magic in the form of birds. He and Derieri are beaten by Meliodas' shortly after he re-awakened, and later seen relaxing in a small cabin, hiding their identities as Demons and ignoring the summons from Zeldris, implying that they no longer wish to partake in fighting. It is revealed that his Commandment prevents him from revealing his true feelings, when he implies that he loves Derieri but also points out that he cannot actually say it to her, due to his commandment.
- He is killed by Estarossa while protecting Derieri from a surprise attack.
- Derieri (デリエリ, Derieri)
- Voiced by: Ayahi Takagaki (Japanese); Allegra Clark (English)
- A female demon with spiky, unruly hair who is naked save for a few patches of darkness covering parts of her body. She has a crude, yet carefree personality. Derieri always prefaces her comments with "to say from the ass" which Monspeet often expands on in a long-winded fashion. She represents Purity in the Ten Commandments. She is a formidable physical combatant, gaining additional power the longer she launches consecutive blows at an enemy. She expresses a deep-seated hatred towards the Goddess clan for one of them killing her older sister among several noncombatant demons that they held hostage. As a result, she and Monspeet each gave up six of their seven hearts, increasing their power but placing them at a greater risk of dying compared to other demons. She and Monspeet are later beaten by Meliodas, shortly after he re-awakened and are seen later relaxing in a small cabin, hiding their identities as Demons. Having lost her will to fight, Derieri decides to go to Camelot and return her Commandment to Zeldris, but Estarossa finds them first. Monspeet manages to save her from being killed by launching her away from Estarossa, conveniently sending her to where the assault team composed of Holy Knights, the Four Archangels, and the Seven Deadly Sins are fending off a demon attack.
- When Estarossa spirits Elizabeth away, Derieri offers her help to King, Sariel, and Tauriel in retrieving her. She comes up with a plan to hold Estarossa once he is revealed as Mael from the Goddess clan by working as a team with Gowther, King, and the rest. However, she dies after Mael blows out her last heart in the battle, which results in her commandment being absorbed as well. In the afterlife, she is thankful to Elizabeth as she finally learns about Monspeet's feelings for her. After Mael is saved from the commandments, he uses a spell to allow Oslo's and Derieri's souls keep their memories of their previous lives in their next reincarnation.
- Melascula (メラスキュラ, Merasukyura)
- Voiced by: Mao Ichimichi (Japanese); Mela Lee (English)
- A female naja demon with the appearance of a dainty woman with long, pink hair. She has a calm, yet mocking personality and represents Faith in the Ten Commandments, which means that anyone who loses faith or doubts their convictions in her presence will have their eyes set on fire. She uses her aura to summon the souls of the dead in order to create a zombie army to wipe out humans and can summon lesser demons as well. She uses this ability to resurrect Elaine to fight on her behalf. When Elaine overcomes her control, she and Galand confront Ban. She rips Ban's soul from his body in order to consume it, only for Zhivago to sacrifice himself in Ban's place.
- When they stumble into Escanor's bar, Galand convinced her to drink, and the two quickly become inebriated. Melascula watches the duel between Galand and Escanor, and becomes horrified by Escanor's power. She watches helplessly as Galand is turned into stone by his own Commandment after he fails to inflict any damage on Escanor whatsoever, even with his strongest attack. She then tries to kill Escanor by taking his soul and eating it, but Escanor's Sunshine ability burns her to ashes from the inside and she falls into a chasm. She is later revealed to have survived, but her entire body is blackened and charred and her hair is missing. She's healed by Gloxinia, and when she tries to take Meliodas' soul, Ban, who is teleported to their location with the help of Gilfrost, snaps her neck (which ends up dislodging her jaw) and rips out every heart in her body save one, thereby falling short of killing her. She is later employed to keep a barrier around Camelot, preventing it from being detected, and when the Seven Deadly Sins attempt to dispel the barrier, she traps Meliodas in her Dark Cocoon, from which he only manages to break out by fully embracing his demonic powers.
- It is later revealed that she was never a true demon, but in fact a snake that collected large amounts of Demonic energy within its body. This energy is eventually drained from her by Merlin, and she is reduced to her original state of a tiny little snake with no special powers. In this state, Merlin traps her in a test tube in order to study her.
- Drole (ドロール, Dorōru)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Ono (Japanese); Mark Whitten (English)
- Drole is a giant demon with four arms and grayish-blue skin that covers his face with a bag. Underneath it, he has a human-like face with dark hair covering the left side of his face and a large scar over his gouged-out left eye. He is the founder of the Giants' Clan and is known as Balor to humans. According to the legends of the Giant Clan, he is recognized as a God by some and created a sacred dance with deep connections to nature and earth; despite this, he was shunned during his youth due to his unusual appearance even by giants' standards. He was only accepted in his adulthood due to his valor in battle, which the relatively primitive Giants' Clan praises more than anything. He, alongside Gloxinia, turns Vaizel into a gigantic labyrinth in order to gather fighters to attract the Seven Deadly Sins. His power over Creation is so great that it even dwarfs Matrona's. He represents Patience in the Ten Commandments. He and Gloxinia show King and Diane their memories of 3,000 years prior in order to explain why they joined the Demon clan, and eventually abandon their positions as part of the Ten Commandments after realizing the error of their ways as King and Diane, placed in their bodies, end up making choices different from those they themselves made; for Drole, it was when Zeldris made him choose between a position in the Ten Commandments or death: in his place, Diane chose to simply run away. He is killed by Chandler while he and Gloxinia try to protect the Seven Deadly Sins.
- Grayroad (グレイロード, Gureirōdo)
- Voiced by: Kōji Yusa (Japanese); Ben Lepley (English)
- Grayroad is a queen-caste mutated Gray Demon composed of multiple dwarf-sized masks shrouded in a miasma-like flames, able to shape-shift into any form and turn humans into low-level demons.[vol. 24] She possesses the fragment of the Demon King's soul representing Pacifism, causing anyone who kills in her presence to forfeit their remaining years and immediately grow old and die of old age. She also commands powerful cursing magic that automatically returns her target to the location at which she cursed them, preventing them from escaping her. Grayroad ends up becoming one of Merlin's test subjects when the witch proves herself to be immune to Grayroad's commandment and is captured in a test tube after attempting to flee.
- Gloxinia (グロキシニア, Gurokishinia)
- Voiced by: Yūsuke Kobayashi (Japanese); Marianne Miller (English)
- An effeminate low-class fairy-like demon who was originally the first Fairy King and member of Stigma, who was assumed to have been killed by the Demon King during the Ancient War. In reality, Gloxinia allied himself with the demons after believing his unconscious sister Gerharde was killed by a human ally named Rou, whom he killed after some Stigma members attacked his homeland. Gloxinia replaces a previous Commandant Meliodas killed as holder of the fragment of the Demon King's soul representing Repose. He wields the Spirit Spear Basquias, which constantly covers him in the form of tentacles and that has a versatile set of abilities similar to those of King's Chastiefol, but at a much higher level of potency and destructiveness. He and Drole show King and Diane their memories of 3,000 years prior in order to explain why they joined the Demon clan and eventually abandon their positions as Ten Comandments after realizing the error of their ways as King and Diane, being placed in their bodies, end up making choices different from those they themselves made. In King's case, he spares Rou's life out of comparing Rou and Gerharde to Ban and Elaine. He and Drole are killed by Chandler when they try to protect the fleeing Seven Deadly Sins.
- Gowther of Selflessness (無欲のゴウセル, Muyoku no Gouseru)
- Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara
- A Demon sorcerer and Merlin's mentor who was forced to bear the Demon King's soul fragment representing Selflessness and subsequently imprisoned for five centuries when he refused to fight for the Demon King. Prior to his imprisonment, he created a proxy body in the likeness of his lover Glariza to observe the outside world until he used the Ancient War to orchestrate his escape with the intent of ending the conflict through a ritual to alter the identity of Archangel Mael into Estarossa, selecting him for being Glariza's killer.[vol. 33, 34] But the large demand of magical energy needed for the ritual's success kills Gowther, passing his commandment and name on to his creation who joins the Seven Deadly Sins three millennia later.
Original Demon (原初の魔神, Gensho no Majin) is a centaur-like demon that Demon King had created as his adviser and ended up splitting into two separate beings as punishment for attempting to overthrow him during a revolt.[vol. 35] The two halves of the Original Demons, Chandler and Cusack, are instilled with the need to mentor the Demon King's sons Meliodas and Zeldris as the Demon King's heirs with both unaware of how the succession works. The Original Demon is briefly restored during the New Holy War when Chandler and Cusack regain memories of their original self, before Mael's attack splintered him back into two components.[vol. 35, 37]
- Chandler (チャンドラー, Chandorā)
- An extremely powerful high-class demon and Meliodas' former mentor, titled as the "Pacifier Demon" from apparently sucking the marrow from his victims' bones. Chandler showing an obsession for Meliodas as he blames Elizabeth for his apprentice's betrayal while refusing to acknowledge anyone else as the next Demon King. He normally appears as an old man with a demon mark on the right side of his face, extremely proficient in magic and having taught Meloidas the Full Counter technique. While enraged, he becomes immensely muscular with his hair and eyes blackened and dragon-like wings sprouting from his back. In this form, Chandler is powerful to overwhelm the Deadly Sins on his own and conjure the daylight obscuring "True Night". Chandler is killed in the aftermath of the New Holy War by Cusack after the two briefly merged back into their original form.[vol. 35, 37]
- Cusack (キューザック, Kyūzakku)
- An extremely powerful high-class demon and Zeldris' mentor, titled the "Napping Reaper" with his power imposing enough to instill fear in Excalibur. Cusack generally appears a relatively young man with a long mustache, having a somewhat condescending demeanor as he usually fights those who interest him or provide a challenge. Much like Chandler, Cusack is obsessed with Zeldris to the point of love. In his true demon form, his hair whitens as he sprouts dragon's wings while his arms lengthen with his hands enlarged enough to hold his two swords with only one. Cusack kills off Chandler in the aftermath of the New Holy War and is later killed by the Demon King after unknowingly turning Zeldris into his vessel.[vol. 35, 37]
Lower Class Demons
- Red Demons
- The lowest class of demons seen thus far, they are massive red obese-looking creatures that can breathe Purgatory Fire, which has far greater potency than normal fire. They also possess two hearts, making them difficult to kill. A red demon was first seen invading the Fairy King's forest twenty years prior, where it burned down the forest and killed Elaine before Ban slew it with it the aid of his newly acquired immortality. Its corpse was eventually found by Hendrickson, who uses its blood to create Holy Knights with the powers of demons, a process perfected in the New Generation.
- Gray Demons
- These demons have thick gray-coloured carapaces that make them extremely durable, faces surrounded by pointed petal-like protrusions vaguely resembling a stylized sun or flower, and wings. In addition to breathing Purgatory Fire, they can utilize various darkness-based attacks, such as "Dark Snow", an attack that consists in conjuring up black snow-like particles which kill instantly. After being cornered and nearly defeated by five of the Sins, Hendrickson consumes the blood of a Gray Demon to vastly increase his strength and continue the battle.
- Blue Demons
- Bird-like demons with muscular physiques, they are known for their speed. Four of them summoned by Melascula's powers, they are eventually all killed off.
- Demon-made golems that served as war machines during the Holy War, rendered dormant when the Demons were sealed until they reactivate when the Ten Commandments are released. They have a power level of 5500, making them effectively as strong as Hendrickson after he acquires the powers of the Gray Demon. Like the lower-class Demons, they can breathe Purgatory Fire. They can also sprout additional appendages from their heads to launch additional attacks. Their only weakness is a core embedded in their chest. Two of them have appeared so far: a fat one that attacked Camelot, which Meliodas destroys and a taller, thinner one with long limbs that appeared at the revived Fairy King's forest before it is destroyed by King's unleashed Chastiefol.
The Vampires of Edinburgh
A Vampire Clan who had a treaty with the Demon Clan, but were sealed in a sarcophagus by the Demon Zeldris 3000 years prior, and 12 years prior to the inception of the story, they broke their seal and took over the Kingdom of Edinburgh, killing all of its inhabitants or turning them into vampires, including the Holy Knights. Since their presence threatened Liones and all of Britannia, The Seven Deadly Sins were sent to deal with them. It turns out that it was the Vampire King Izraf who broke the treaty by rebelling against the Demon Clan and Zeldris was intended to be the executioner, but instead, he sealed them since he was in love with the Royal Vampire Gelda.
- Hawk's Mother (ホークママ, Hōku Mama)
- Voiced by: Kayo Nakajima
- Hawk's mother is a massive green pig who transports the Boar Hat on her back. When she finds a suitable location to place the bar, she burrows away underground, leaving only the bar peeking out from the surface. Unlike Hawk she is unable to speak, but surprisingly powerful and able to beat Red and Grey Demons with ease and even consume Monspeet's fiery attack without any ill effects. Hawk's Mother would later be revealed to a shell of moss that the Demon King and the Supreme Deity used to seal Chaos within, known as the Mother of Chaos from which numerous monsters and the vampire royalty were birthed from. Once the seal was broken and Arthur became the King of Chaos, Hawk's Mother breaks apart as Chaos transferred into the human.
- Elaine (エレイン, Erein)
- Voiced by: Kotori Koiwai (Japanese); Brianna Knickerbocker (English)
- Elaine is a princess of the Fairy Race (妖精族, Yōsei Zoku) and King's sister, as well as the Guardian Saint of the Fountain of Youth. Elaine held this post for 700 years after King had left in search of his best friend, Helbram. She has the power to control Nature and the wind in her environment. During her time protecting the fountain, she met Ban, who coveted the fountain, but they ended up growing close to each other. Both she and Ban were mortally wounded by a demon that destroyed the Fairy King Forest, and Elaine used gave Ban the water of the fountain, so he could survive and create a new forest for her people. After her death, Elaine's soul resides in the Necropolis (死者の都) dimension until she is revived by Melascula; consumed by her regret and unable to control her actions, she attacked Jericho as she did not look kindly upon her feelings towards and the time she was spending with Ban. But Jericho and Ban manage to help Elaine break free of her negative emotions, with remaining among the living due to Melascula's spell. Like King, Elaine grows a pair of wings as a sign of her power growth as she helps the Sins defeat Melascula.
- After Ban goes to purgatory to find Meliodas' emotions, she fights along with Holy Knights as she waits for Ban; in the midst of the battle, she starts dying again, but Ban uses his new powers to fully resurrect her at the cost of his immortality.
- Arthur Pendragon (アーサー・ペンドラゴン, Āsā Pendoragon)
- Voiced by: Sachi Kokuryu (Japanese); Zach Aguilar (English)
- The young king of Camelot, who is being mentored by Merlin, Arthur possesses a great power that even allowed him to fight Hendrickson, but even he is not really sure what this power consists in. He offers Meliodas the position of Great Holy Knight in his kingdom, but Meliodas puts his offer on hold until the kingdom is saved (and he still has to run the Boar Hat). He later joins the Seven Deadly Sins in their mission against the Ten Commandments, acquiring his familiar Cath in the process. Having admired Meliodas all his life, Arthur becomes disillusioned upon learning he sided with the demons. This spurs him to claim the Holy Sword Excalibur, which gives it chooses the power and skill of its previous users from the past. Each time a person uses it, their soul moves into the blade making it stronger, and making sure that the next person had to be strong enough to wield it. As such, it showed Arthur's true potential as a "King among Kings" by being chosen by Excalibur. Though Arthur acquires Excalibur, he lacked the skills to properly use it as Cusack uses his Resonant to manipulated Arthur's body into impaling himself with Excalibur.[vol. 31] The Demon King's death, Merlin conducts a ritual to resurrect Arthur as "King of Chaos" with the power to manipulate reality from becoming a vessel of Chaos.[ch. 335]
- Cath (キャス, Kyasu)
- Voiced by: Aoi Yūki
- A mysterious cat-like creature that Arthur acquired as a familiar during his training in Istal, keeping him alive while in constant physical contact. But Cath actually is a spawn of Chaos named Cath Palug (キャス・パリーグ, Kyasu Parīgu), an embodiment of avarice and destruction that cannot be killed by any means. Cath desires to become the King of Chaos and only protected Arthur in order to eat him once he was resurrected as the vessel of Chaos. Cath devours Arthur's arm to acquire a fragment of Chaos with the Deadly Sins keeping him at bay until Arthur decides to use his power to absorb Cath back into the Chaos he was created from.
- Oslow (オスロー, Osurō)
- Voiced by: Rintarō Nishi
- A Black Hound and is King's pet, he is able to alter his size, with his mouth serving as a portal, while his growling can be understood by King, Elaine, and Hawk. Oslow would later be revealed to be the reincarnation of Rou (ロウ), a human from three millennia ago who infiltrated Stigma to seek revenge on them for destroying his village years prior. But his rage wavered when he protects a mortally wounded Gerheade, who reminded him of a girl he loved, and allowed himself to be killed by an enraged Gloxinia. Rou reincarnated into Oslo soon after to continue his vow of protecting Gerheade. Oslo sacrifices his life when Mael tries to attack King with a blast, however, his soul is enchanted by Mael so he can retain his memories of his previous life in his next reincarnation.
- Lady of the Lake (湖の姫, Mizuumi no Hime)
- Also known as the Priestess of Chaos (混沌の巫女, Konton no Miko), she is a being of chaos who is bound within the confines of Lake Salisbury and is said to have bestowed the sword Excalibur to king Carfen. Following the Demon King's death, Merlin brings Arthur's body to Lake Salisbury to be revived by the Lady as a "King of Chaos".[ch. 335] After Meliodas demands answers for Merlin's actions of reviving Arthur as a vessel of chaos, the Lady reveals the witch's full story and goals to him and the other Sins.[ch. 337]
The Liones Kingdom is the setting for most of the story with its Holy Knights (聖騎士, Seikishi) being among the most powerful knight orders in Britannia. Sometime before the beginning of the series, via the machinations of the demon Fraudrin, Hendrickson orchestrates a coup d'état and takes control of Liones. This caused the kingdom to fall into a state of distress as citizens from towns and villages surrounding the kingdom were enslaved or forcefully recruited into joining the Holy Knights in preparation for a Holy War. Under the rule of the Holy Knights, death was the penalty for insubordination. Following Hendrickson's defeat and Dreyfus's disappearance, Baltra pardoned most of the knights as he preferred they atone for their actions.
- Bartra Liones (バルトラ・リオネス, Barutora Rionesu)
- Voiced by: Rintarō Nishi (Japanese); Michael McConnohie (English)
- Bartra Liones is the King of Liones and Elizabeth's adoptive father, who is held captive by the Holy Knights after their coup d'état. He possesses a power known as Vision, which allows him to see into the future, whence he knows about the Holy War. After Hendrickson's defeat, he forgives the Holy Knights since he knows they were being manipulated and that their strength would be needed in the upcoming Holy War. His name is romanized "Baltra" in the first fanbook, but this is changed to "Bartra" in the second fanbook and volume 22.
- Margaret Liones (マーガレット・リオネス, Māgaretto Rionesu)
- Voiced by: Nana Mizuki (Japanese); Johanna Luis (English)
- Margaret is the First Princess of Liones and Elizabeth's eldest adoptive sister. Ten years prior to the beginning of the story, she witnessed the murder of Zaratras at the hands of Hendrickson and Dreyfus and told Gilthunder about it. Unfortunately, Hendrickson found out and she allowed herself to be imprisoned by the Holy Knights, who used her as a means to force Gilthunder into obeying Hendrickson. She is later possessed by Archangel Ludoshel due to her latent magical abilities for the upcoming war against the demon clan.
- Veronica Liones (ベロニカ・リオネス, Beronika Rionesu)
- Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto (Japanese); Abby Trott (English)
- Veronica, is the Second Princess of Liones and Elizabeth's elder adoptive sister. She is described as a tomboy. As a child, she used to play swords with boys, which her father scolded her for. Despite sharing the Holy Knights' views on enslaving citizens, she deeply cares about Elizabeth. She sacrifices herself to protect Elizabeth, but eventually, she recovers thanks to Elizabeth's power.
- Zaratras (ザラトラス, Zaratorasu)
- Voiced by: Rikiya Koyama (Japanese); Lex Lang (English)
- Zaratras was the former Grand Master of the Holy Knights and the strongest of his order, who was assassinated ten years ago by the demon Fraudrin when he possessed Zaratras' half-brother Dreyfus and enlisted Hendrickson's assistance, with the Seven Deadly Sins framed for the murder. Gilthunder's father and Grimaore's uncle, he and Dreyfus are both Druids and possess the power of Purge which can destroy any evil soul.
- Zaratras is temporarily revived after the Ten Commandments take over Britannia, furious with himself for not realizing that Dreyfus and Hendrickson were being manipulated. Despite his power and rank, he's rather quirky. He stumbles upon the Boar Hat and shows Elizabeth and Hawk memories of how he and King Baltras first met Meliodas. Zaratras uses his remaining power to exorcise Fraudrin from Dreyfus' body, telling his brother and Hendrickson to stop blaming themselves for his death as he returns to the afterlife.
- Gilthunder (ギルサンダー, Girusandā)
- Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano (Japanese); Robbie Daymond (English)
- Gilthunder is a Holy Knight, Griamore's cousin, and Dreyfus's nephew who is the son of Zaratras'; he has the ability to use magic to generate and manipulate lightning. When Gilthunder was younger, he looked up to the Seven Deadly Sins and wanted to be just like them as he was trained by Meliodas. When Gilthunder learned of his father's murder by his uncle and Hendrickson, he was forced to follow the latter when Vivian uses her familiars on him and Margret to force him into compliance.[vol. 11] He has since become emotionless while pursuing the Sins, cryptically hinting to Meliodas that he needs his help. Once Meliodas destroys the familiar following Margret, Gilthunder joins the Sins in fighting Hendrickson.[vol. 10, 13] After Hendrickson's defeat, he, Howzer, and Griamore investigate the Demon clan's return to Britannia and later join forces with the Seven Deadly Sins to fight the Ten Commandments.
- Guila (ギーラ, Gīra)
- Voiced by: Mariya Ise (Japanese); Carrie Keranen (English)
- A Holy Knight whom the Sins first encounter at the Necropolis when she placed herself in a state of near-death to pursue them with her spirit, she is dedicated knight whose power of Explosion allows her to create powerful explosions. Guila joined the Holy Knights to be someone her little brother Zeal could be proud of after their father Dale mysteriously abandoned his post. Guila later learns that her father was subject to Hendrickson's experiments with demon blood, with herself being one of his New-Generation Holy Knights; she sides with the Sins after Diane risks her well-being to save Zeal from Helbram's attack.[vol. 9]
- Jericho (ジェリコ, Jeriko)
- Voiced by: Marina Inoue (Japanese); Erica Lindbeck (English)
- Initially an apprentice Holy Knight under the Weird Fangs, Jericho is a skilled swordswoman who initially dressed herself up as a young man due to her low self esteem in an attempt at being taken serious by her male peers. But after being humiliated by Ban and accepting Hendrickson's proposal of becoming a New Generation Holy Knight, she embraces her femininity while resolute to make Ban suffer.[vol. 2, 6] But Jericho beging to develop feelings for Ban after he saves her from being consumed by the demon blood in her body and has been following him ever since; unwelcome in the new Fairy King's Forest, she later witnesses Ban's reunion with his father, Zhivago. When a revived Elaine attempts to kill her, she snaps the fairy of her jealous rage by expressing her love for Ban as unrequited. Jericho then refuses to abandon Ban and Elaine after they are trounced in battle by two of the Ten Commandments, carrying them off in an attempt to save them before stumbling upon Escanor's bar.
- After the death of her brother, Gustaf, Jericho discovers that she possesses ice magic, just like he did, and decides to carry out her brother's will.
- Howzer (ハウザー, Hauzā)
- Voiced by: Ryohei Kimura (Japanese); Ray Chase (English)
- A Holy Knight with the rank of Platinum and dominion over magic that allows him to generate and manipulate wind, he is also a childhood friend of Gilthunder's. Despite being hot-blooded and self-confident, he also believes in the honor of the Holy Knights and looks up to Dreyfus. He fights at the Vaizel annual fighting festival and is defeated by Diane. After realizing the identity of the Seven Deadly Sins and witnessing Diane saving an innocent civilian, he begins to wonder whether they are really as bad everyone says they are. After witnessing many cruelties on the part of his fellow Knights and seeing Diane protecting Guila's brother, he sides with the Sins and protects Diane from Dreyfus, despite being grossly outmatched. Later, it is hinted that he harbours romantic feelings towards Diane.
- After Fraudrin's defeat, he is surprisingly named Great Holy Knight by King Baltra in Gilthunder's absence. Despite his initial doubts, he accepts.
- Dreyfus (ドレファス, Dorefasu)
- Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (Japanese); Jamieson Price (English)
- The current Great Holy Knight alongside his best friend Hendrickson, he is also Zaratras' younger brother, Griamore's father, and Gilthunder's uncle. He is a dignified and diligent person, very dedicated to his duties, even willing to capture his king and enslave citizens to help with the military efforts in order to prepare for the Holy War. It is revealed that he and Hendrickson murdered Zaratras and blamed the Seven Deadly Sins, as he was jealous of his brother. Despite everything he has done, he loves his son deeply and believes Hendrickson's plan of reviving the Demon Clan is insane. When he is affected by Gowther's Nightmare Teller, it is shown that he feels a lot of remorse for betraying his brother. He ends up admitting to his crimes and agrees on a temporary truce with the Sins in order to stop Hendrickson. Unfortunately, he is unable to defeat his former friend and rival and killed by Hendrickson's Acid Down skill, while his son, Griamore, watches helplessly.
- He possesses the power Break, which is capable of shattering the opponent's techniques and has great destructive potential. He easily defeated Diane and remained unscathed by the combined attacks of Howzer and Guila.
- It is revealed that his body was being controlled by the Demon Fraudrin, who used him and Hendrickson in order to fully revive the Demon Clan. He is finally freed by the combined efforts of Hendrickson and Zaratras.
- Hendrickson (ヘンドリクセン, Hendorikusen)
- Voiced by: Yūya Uchida (Japanese); Kaiji Tang (English)
- A Grand Master Holy Knight and good friend of Dreyfus', he also was his accomplice in the murder of Zaratras.[vol. 8] He possesses the power Acid, which deteriorates the opponent's body upon being struck with a weapon infused with it, unless he is defeated or it dispelled by strong magic. Hendrickson also has knowledge of forbidden Druid techniques, such as Enslavement of the Dead, which can reanimates a corpse twice with their abilities reduced and the reanimation turning them into a mindless puppet.
- Later revealed to having been manipulated by the demon Fraudrin, Hendrickson became dishonourable and manipulative since he murdered Zaratras as he resolves to cause a new Holy War by releasing the Demons race so the Holy Knights would once again have meaning and purpose.[vol. 11] Hendrickson later acquired the corpses of Helbram and a demon that destroyed the Fairy King's Forest, learning that the latter's blood can enhance humans, a technique perfected in the New Generation of Holy Knights, whose demon blood he can activate at will with his Blood Awaken ability — which he does during the Sins' assault on the capital, turning the New-Generation knights into monsters that work havoc until the Sins manage to rid them of the demons possessing their bodies.
- Hendrickson drinks a vial of demon blood after Gilthunder mortally injures him, reattaching his severed arm as he becomes a youthful version of himself with some of Meliodas' powers as he kidnaps Elizabeth to complete his plan and seemingly kills Dreyfus. After being cornered by the Sins, Hendrickson reveals to also possess the body of a Gray Demon as he uses its blood to become a true demon before being defeated by Meliodas.[vol. 13] Hendrickson survived and was healed by Fraudrin using Dreyfus' body, restored to his original self and spared by the demon while witnessing the Demon Race's return to Britannia. A repentant Hendrickson later comes to aid Gilthunder, Howzer, and Griamore in defeating a Gray Demon, aiding the Seven Deadly Sins in their mission to face the Ten Commandments despite King still resenting him for using Helbram.
- Griamore (グリアモール, Guriamōru)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese); Patrick Seitz (English)
- A Holy Knight and Dreyfus's son who was assigned Veronica's bodyguard at a young age, He possesses the ability to create spherical barriers that are effective against most attacks. Griamore is very devoted to Veronica to the point of opposing the Holy Knights of Henderickson's faction when they threatened to harm her if he refuse to hand Elizabeth over to them. After taking a seemingly dead Veronica to Pernes for a proper burial at Elizabeth's request, Griamore was reported dead before returning at the last minute to aid in Hendrickson's defeat. He accompanies his cousin Gilthunder and Howzer in their search for answers regarding his father's research, only to gain Hendrickson as an ally when they face a Gray Demon.
- Griamore is later cursed to revert into his childhood self by the ability of a monster that he and Slader fight during their training in Istal, ultimately playing a role in Fraudin's defeat as the demon grew to care about him. Griamore eventually returned to his true self when Veronica, whom he is in love with, broke the spell by kissing him.
- Helbram (ヘルブラム, Heruburamu)
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Kamiya, Ryōtarō Okiayu [as Aldrich] (Japanese); Kyle McCarley, Richard Epcar [as Aldrich] (English)
- A Cardinal-ranked Holy Knight and Hendrickson's second-in-command, Helbram is ruthlessly cruel and sadistic with the ability to disguise himself as an imp named Love Helm. He also uses a skill called Link that allows him to use the powers of those who willingly give him their power, which also allowed him to transfer damage dealt to him to them to evade fatal attacks at the cost of some of their lives.[vol. 6] Helbram is eventually revealed to be a member of the Fairy race and an old friend of King's; he was originally interested in humans until he and his fellow fairies were kidnapped by a human named Aldrich, who wanted to sell their wings. Helbram was traumatized by watching his friends die, losing his sanity thinking Aldrich had killed King, and wound up killing Aldrich as a result, assuming his form to maintain his immense misanthropy as he went on a murderous rampage, killing humans — determined to kill them all —, until King reunited with him 500 years later and killed Helbram, honouring an old promise to stop his former best friend in the event that such a fate should befall him.[vol. 10] But fairies' corpses never decompose, and Helbram's body ended up in Henderickson's possession and was reanimated by a curse, each revival further eroding Helbram's mind.[vol. 10]
- After King kills him again, it is revealed that the helmet of his Love Helm guise was meant as a gift for him; Helbram is reanimated a second time as a semi-mindless shell, retaining enough of his consciousness to force King to completely destroy his body with his spirit bound to the helmet which King takes. The helmet is eventually destroyed when Helbram offers it to Diane while she was possessed by the spirits of a village he destroyed ages ago, allowing him to pass on. King salvages the helmet's remains to use them as a decoration in his new outfit.
- Vivian (ビビアン, Bibian)
- Voiced by: Minako Kotobuki (Japanese); Marieve Herington (English)
- An enigmatic Holy Knight who served under Hendrickson and was previously Merlin's apprentice, regarded as Liones' greatest mage. She expresses a disdain for Merlin, as well as pigs, shown when she teleports Hawk away upon coming across him. Vivian is also obsessed with Gilthunder, subjecting him and Margaret to her familiars to keep them apart and under Hendrickson's control. Following Hendrickson's defeat, Vivian is exiled from Liones and outfitted by Merlin with a cursed non-detachable ring that would kill her if she were to try and use her magic on Gilthunder. Merlin also gave Gilthunder a secret word that would allow Vivian to become completely subservient to him. Vivian later assumed the guise of a male mage named Gilfrost to infiltrate Liones as an ally until the Ten Commandants conquer the city, when she spirits Gilthunder away to a tower high above the skies so she could keep him forever. But Vivian is soon killed by Ludoshel after Margaret allowed the archangel to possess her so she could save Gilthunder.
- Gustaf (グスタフ, Gusutafu)
- Voiced by: Makoto Furukawa (Japanese); Chris Hackney (English)
- Jericho's older brother, who used to work for Helbram and is able to use magic that allows him to control ice. He and Jericho had not been in good terms since the time he told her she could never become a knight like him, but the reason for this turns out to be his concern about her. When Jericho turns into a Demon, Gustaf begs Ban to save his sister. He later participates in defending Liones from the Ten Commandments; fatally stabbed by one of the Holy Knights under Zeldris' control, he uses his remaining strength to prevent his sister and Zeal from being turned into demons by Greyroad.
The Weird Fangs (不気味な牙（ウィアード・ファング）, Wiādo Fangu) are Holy Knights in charge of Baste Prison (バステ監獄, Basute Kangoku), who aided in the capture of Ban whom they kept prisoner there. Following the destruction of Baste Prison, the surviving Weird Fangs leave Liones before later returning, only to learn of the chaos that occurred in their absence.
- Friesia (フリージア, Furījia)
- Voiced by: Megumi Han (Japanese); Melissa Fahn (English)
- A Holy Knight with the ability to manipulate insects, uncaring towards whom she hurts in the process as long as she kills the enemy. Freesia teams up with Ruin to defeat the Seven Deadly Sins, but when Ruin's plan fails, Freesia is defeated by Diane. After a long absence, she and Ruin are revealed to have gone into hiding, only to be found by inhabitants of a village who serve the Demons and procure souls for them in exchange for their lives being spared. After witnessing Fraudrin consume Ruin's soul, she's pinned down by the villagers, with her soul eaten as well.
- Golgius (ゴルギウス, Gorugiusu)
- Voiced by: Chō (Japanese); Doug Stone (English)
- A Holy Knight with the ability to turn himself invisible, Golgius tends to be a coward that uses underhand tricks to win his fights or to escape. He forces Dr. Dana to poison Meliodas while he is healing him. Golgius is later defeated by Meliodas and runs away. After returning to Liones to find the kingdom's countryside overrun with demons, an injured Golgius escapes and stumbles upon the Boar Hat. After being nursed back to health, Hawk recognizes his scent, but Elizabeth admits that she holds no grudge towards him and lets him off.
- Ruin (ルイン)
- Voiced by: Atsushi Ono (Japanese); Marc Diraison (English)
- Ruin is the Leader of Weird Fangs, who possesses illusionary and hypnotic abilities, the source of which is a little bell mounted at the top of his staff, as well as the ability to harden his body. Of all the Weird Fangs, Ruin is shown to be the cruellest as he beats an unarmed Elizabeth and appears to enjoy it. Apparently killed, Ruin and Friesia go into hiding, only for Fraudrin to later consume his soul before he is able to react.
- Jude (ジュド, Judo)
- Voiced by: Nobuyuki Hiyama (Japanese); Jalen K. Cassell (English)
- A Holy Knight and one of the four Weird Fangs of Baste Dungeon who aided in the capture of the Deadly Sin, Ban. He tortured Ban mercilessly while keeping him imprisoned. Jude is believed to have been killed by Ban when he escaped.
Roar of Dawn
Roar of Dawn (暁闇の咆哮(ドーン・ロアー), Gyōan no Hōkō(Dōn Roā), "Dawn Roar" in manga) are a group of independent Holy Knights known for their tenacity to see their missions through to the very end. They first encounter the Deadly Sins while tasked with decapitating the Armoured Giant and bringing his head to Helbram, with Gowther ending the conflict peacefully. The group later dwindles to two members after the other three were killed by Fraudin while escorting Dreyfus to prison.
- Slader (スレイダー, Sureidā)
- Voiced by: Shinichiro Miki (Japanese); Doug Erholtz (English)
- The Roar of Dawn's leader, a tall, long-haired, and effeminate man who wears an iron mask and wields a saw-toothed sword. Slader is fully loyal to Baltra, who rescued him from savages as a youth, while also expressing an admiration towards Merlin. His ability is "Overpower", which allows him to momentarily freeze an enemy in place through sheer intimidation. He later accompanies the Seven Deadly Sins in their mission against the Ten Commandments as the caretaker of an unstable Gowther.
- Simon (サイモン, Saimon)
- Voiced by: Ryōsuke Kanemoto (Japanese); Lucien Dodge (English)
- Seemingly the youngest member of the Roar of Dawn, Simon is a young long-haired boy who wields a long katana-like blade and wears a samuraiesque armor.
- Weinheidt (ワインハイト, Wainhaito)
- Voiced by: Hideki Nishimura (Japanese); Kyle Hebert (English)
- Weinheidt is the Roar of Dawn's archer, able to engulf his arrows in energy and create an illusionary double of himself as a decoy. He was killed by a possessed Dreyfus, alongside Jillian and Hugo.
- Jillian (ジリアン, Jirian)
- Voiced by: Erika Sawai (Japanese); Johanna Luis (English)
- Jillian is the only female member of the Roar of Dawn; she wields a sword and can ensnare her enemies with magical binding. She is killed by a possessed Dreyfus, alongside Weinheidt and Hugo.
- Hugo (ヒューゴ, Hyūgo)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Yamada (Japanese); Patrick Seitz (English)
- The largest member of the Roar of Dawn, Hugo is covered from head to toe in armour and wields two weapons similar in appearance to saw-blades on a stick. He is killed by a possessed Dreyfus, alongside Weinheidt and Jillian.
Pleiades of the Azure Sky
- Denzel Liones (デンゼル・リオネス, Denzeru Rionesu)
- Voiced by: Rintarō Nishi (Japanese); Michael McConnohie (English)
- The leader of the Pleiades of the Azure Sky and younger brother of King Baltra Liones, Denzel Liones possesses the ability Judgement (審判（ジャッジメント）, Shinpan (Jajjimento)), that uses the opponent's guilt to conjure up the souls of the people they killed to haunt and "judge" them. In a desperate attempt to fight the Ten Commandments, he lets the Goddess Nerobasta possess his body, but tragically, the Goddess is unwilling to help him and both are killed by a furious Derieri.
- Deathpierce (デスピアス, Desupiasu)
- Voiced by: Yohei Azakami (Japanese); Ben Lepley (English)
- Deathpierce is the second-in-Command of the Pleiades of the Azure Sky. His ability is Melody (旋律（メロディ）, Senritsu (Merodi)); it allows him to control the rhythm and flow of magic similarly to a song, allowing him to delay magical attacks by a considerable amount of time, thereby rendering any offensive magic used against him ineffective.
- Arden (アーデン, Āden)
- Voiced by: Toshiyuki Toyonaga (Japanese); Billy Kametz (English)
- Arden is the youngest member of the Pleiades. His ability is Vain (無駄（ベイン）, Muda(Bein); literally meaning "Useless"); when applied to weapons, it can increase the magical burden of an opponent's abilities. This effect can be applied multiple times, preventing powers which require significant amount of magic from activating.
- Deldry (デルドレー, Derudorē)
- Voiced by: Emiri Katō (Japanese); Kayli Mills (English)
- Deldry is the only female member of the Pleiades. Her ability is Love Drive (衝動（ラブドライブ）, Shōdō (Rabu Doraibu); literally meaning "Impulse"); it is capable of arousing intense inspiring feelings and of love and loyalty towards her. She is in love with Arden, but he is oblivious of her interests.
- Dogedo (ドゲッド, Dogeddo)
- Voiced by: Hiromichi Tezuka
- Dogedo is a cocky and seemingly arrogant Platinum Holy Knight. He challenges Meliodas to a fight since he did not believed in his strength. After being easily defeated, Deathpierce mentioned that he lost a friend in the battle against Hendrickson. When he recklessly kills a servant turned demon in the presence of Grayroad, the curse of the Commandment drains his life and kills him.
- Waillo (ワイーヨ, Waīyo)
- Voiced by: Ryunosuke Watanuki (Japanese); Kirk Thornton (English)
- A Platinum-ranked Holy Knight and member of the Pleiades of the Azure Sky, Waillo is also the brother of the late apprentice Holy Knight Twigo. He is greatly infatuated with Deldry, but whether this is genuine affection or an effect of her Love Drive is unknown.
One of the five races of Britannia that are Demon Race's equals and are led by the Supreme Deity, a being created by Chaos alongside the Demon King before they sealed their creator away.[ch. 337] Three millennia ago, as a result of Elizabeth falling in love with Meliodas, the Goddess Race declared war on the Demon with support from the humans, the giants, and the fairies. Though they won the war by using the Coffin of Eternal after the demon mage Gowther altered their memories that Mael was killed, the Supreme Deity was sealed away while the other members of the Goddess Race lose their physical forms. Following the return of the Demons, members of the Goddess Race begin to resurface and gather for a new Holy War.
- Ludoshel (リュドシェル, Ryudosheru)
- Voiced by: Akira Ishida (Japanese); Jordan Reynolds (English)
- One of the Four Archangels of the Goddess Race who possesses the Grace Flash (閃せん光こう, Senkō), allowing him to move at speeds that make him appear to be teleporting. While polite with a desire for peace, Ludoshel hates demons enough he lied to Meliodas of wanting peace between their peoples and willfully using Elizabeth as a distraction so he and her brother Mael can slaughter the unarmed demons they took hostage. Like his kin, he was made to believe Mael was killed by Estarossa. In the present day, Ludoshel was sealed within a altar before he possesses the body of Margaret Liones by promising to help her rescue Gilthunder. He then proceeds to gather new Stigma members for the new Holy War.
- He eventually leads Merlin, Escanor, Hendrickson and Gilthunder in order to stop Meliodas becoming the new demon king. He even states that he can not allow Meliodas to live after their victory. He fights Zeldris and defeat him as he teams with Escanor. But once remembering Mael and Estrarossa are the same person, Ludoshel ends being purged from Margaret's body when Hendrickson took advantage of the Archangel's moment of weakness. Though Hendrickson offer his body for Ludoshel, he heals the human instead and continues fighting in his partially restored physical form against the Original Demon before reuniting with Mael as sacrifices himself and Deadly Sins fight the Demon King's attack and fades away soon after the battle ends.
- Tarmiel (タルミエル, Tarumieru)
- Voiced by: Satoshi Tsuruoka (Japanese); Bill Millsap (English)
- A three-headed member of the Four Archangels who possesses the Grace Ocean (大たい海かい, Taikai), allowing him to conjure ocean to snare his opponents or liquefy his body. Three millennia after the ancient war, Tarmiel ended up sealed within the staff of Arbus whom he possessed after the man was killed by demons and joins Ludoshel in forming a new Stigma. Having regained enough of his original form to fight alongside Sariel against Estarossa, Tarmiel was briefly conflicted to fight him after learning he is Mael before being taken out by Mael's attack barrage.
- Sariel (サリエル, Sarieru)
- Voiced by: Shun Horie (Japanese); Griffin Burns (English)
- A child-like member of the Four Archangels who possesses the Grace Tornado (竜たつ巻まき, Tatsumaki), allowing him to manipulate wind. Three millennia after the ancient war, Sariel ended up sealed within the flute of a girl named Solaseed. Sariel tricks Solaseed into allowing him to use her body until he is able to reconstitute enough of his physical form, tricking her with the promise of curing her illness. Sariel then joins Ludoshel in forming a new Stigma. While he and Tarmiel battle Estarossa, latter learning him to be Mael, Sariel is forced to leave Solaseed's body after he accidentally turned her into an adult woman before being fatally wounded by Mael and fading away in Tarmiel's arms.
- Nerobasta (ネロバスタ, Nerobasuta)
- Voiced by: Mamiko Noto (Japanese); Julia McIlvaine (English)
- A member of Goddess race who ended up sealed within Denzel Liones' sword in the aftermath of the ancient war which she participated. Despite Denzel's sacrifice allowing her to take possession of his body, she shows no care for or empathy towards humans. When confronted by Derieri for her brutal murder of demon hostages, she shows cowardice by claiming that she just followed orders and tries to flee. This enrages the Commandment and Nerobasta begs for her life, only for the demon to kill her along with Denzel.
Other supporting characters
- Cain Barzad (ケイン＝バルザド, Kein Baruzado)
- Voiced by: Takashi Inagaki (Japanese); Steve Kramer (English)
- Cain Barzad is an elderly man who led the Deadly Sins to the Vaizel annual fighting festival which he also participates in, revealed to be a Danafall knight and an old comrade from Meliodas's time in Danafall. During their match, having assumed he was fighting Meliodas's son, Cain goes all out while demanding why he destroyed their kingdom. But once Meliodas convinces him that he never betrayed Danafall, Cain accepts the truth and forfeits the match. Cain later visits the Boar Hat and provides Meliodas with Liz's sword.
- Jenna (ジェンナ).
- Voiced by: Himika Akaneya (Japanese); Cherami Leigh (English)
- One of the head druids alongside her younger twin sister Zaneri in their sacred land Istal, the two revealed to be members of the Goddess Race who deserted during the ancient war in disgust of their kind's conduct. The two came upon a pair of twin sisters on the verge of death and earned their permission to possess their bodies, allowing them to escape the conflict undetected. Energetic and teasing compared to Zaneri, Jenna shows interest in outsiders while supervising the druids' physical training which she placed Arthur, King, and Holy Knights members through in preparation for their battle against the Ten Commandments.
- Zaneri (ザネリ, Zaneri)
- Voiced by: Haruka Chisuga (Japanese); Michelle Ruff (English)
- The other head of the Druids and Jenna's younger twin sister, having possessed the body of one of a set dying twins alongside her sister to escape the ancient war undetected. Unlike her energetic and cheerful sister, Zaneri is very serious at her job as head Druid while overseeing the druids' mental training which she placed Meliodas and Elizabeth through. Zaneri also has a fondness toward Meliodas, but understands her feels to be one-sided while fearing for him should Elizabeth die.
- Matrona (マトローナ, Matorōna)
- Voiced by: Rina Satō (Japanese); Allegra Clark (English)
- The warrior chief of the Giant Clan and Diane and Dolores' mentor. Known as the Fang of the Great Earth, Matrona is a proud giantess, willing to go into battle for payment and merciless toward her enemies, but at the same time, honouring and showing respect towards her opponent once they haven given her a good battle. She was a friend of Diane's parents and took care of her after they had passed, but her tough personality made them clash a lot. When she and Diane were hired by a group of Liones Holy Knights, the knights deceived them and tried to kill them to gain prestige. She saved Diane from a poisonous arrow and used the last of her strength to take down the Holy Knights before supposedly dying. However, she somehow survived and appears just in time to save Diane from Galand and Monspeet. Though the incident cost her her right leg (which she replaced with a peg leg), she was rescued and nursed to health by Zalpa, a barbarian that Diane had spared prior to the incident with the knights. Having been saved, her overall outlook on things changed and now she helps him raise his kids Della and Sol. When her adoptive children fall ill, she accompanies Diane in a search for a cure, joining the tournament prepared by Drole and Gloxinia.
- Zhivago (ジバゴ, Jibago)
- Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe (Japanese); Marc Diraison (English)
- A werefox who was imprisoned in Aberdeen Prison and who raised Ban in his youth and taught him how to steal. He treated Ban like his own son. He also told Ban of the Fountain of Youth in the Fairy King's Forest. One day, he was forced to choose to save either Ban from people who had captured him, or his son Selion from a group of hunters. He chose the latter but came too late and Selion died in his arms, and as a result, he believed he had lost them both.
- 30 years later, Ban and Jericho find him fallen ill and on the brink of death, and after he tells them his story, Ban recognises him and reveals his identity to his foster father. After a brief, but heartwarming reunion, Zhivago passes away. He later sacrifices his soul to save Ban's soul from being eaten by Galand, despite knowing that he would never see his son Selion again as a result.
- MD Staff (20 March 2017). "Meliad". MythologyDictionary.com [MD]. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- MD Staff (20 March 2017). "Escanor". MythologyDictionary.com [MD]. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- MD Staff (20 March 2017). "Merlin". MythologyDictionary.com [MD]. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- MD Staff (20 March 2017). "Arthur". MythologyDictionary.com [MD]. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- Hansell, Chris (December 2, 2015). "Seven Deadly Sins Has a Groping Problem". Cultured Vultures. Retrieved March 19, 2017.
[Quote:] Meliodas’ lecherous groping is played for laughs and is near unavoidable for the first few episodes… [In The Seven Deadly Sins,] the main character is a pervert without even a basic understanding of consent and not once is he called out on this in any meaningful way…
- MD Staff (20 March 2017). "British Mythology". MythologyDictionary.com [MD]. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- MD Staff (20 March 2017). "Mythology Dictionary". MythologyDictionary.com [MD]. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- RLDP Staff (20 March 2017). "A Glossary of Names, Allusions, and Technical Terms in T. H. White's The Once and Future King and The Book of Merlyn". Robbins Library Digital Projects [RLDP]. Rochester, NY: Rochester University. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- "The Seven Deadly Sins". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
As a "Netflix Original Series" (and at the time of this writing that is the only place it can be accessed), SDS sports an English dub courtesy of Bang Zoom! Entertainment. Unless you're tired of hearing Bryce Papenbrook as the male lead in seemingly everything these days (he's become in the 2010s what Johnny Yong Bosch was earlier in the 2000s), the English cast is very well-chosen.
- "Over 120,000 Fans Pick King as the Best Seven Deadly Sins Character". Anime News Network. 2015-02-20. Retrieved 2015-02-20.
- Character profiles at Kodansha USA