Karl Koller (ophthalmologist)Wikipedia open wikipedia design.
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||December 3, 1857|
|Died||March 21, 1944 (aged 86)|
|Known for||Cocaine as a local anaesthetic|
Koller introduced cocaine as a local anaesthetic for eye surgery. Prior to this discovery, he had tested solutions such as chloral hydrate and morphine as anaesthetics in the eyes of laboratory animals without success. Freud was fully aware of the pain-killing properties of cocaine, but Koller recognized its tissue-numbing capabilities, and in 1884 demonstrated its potential as a local anaesthetic to the medical community. Koller's findings were a medical breakthrough. Prior to his discovery, performing eye surgery was difficult because the involuntary reflex motions of the eye to respond to the slightest stimuli. Later, cocaine was also used as a local anaesthetic in other medical fields such as dentistry. In the 20th century, other agents such as Xylocaine have replaced cocaine as a local anaesthetic.
In 1888, Karl Koller moved to the United States and practiced ophthalmology in New York. He received many distinctions in his career, including being honored by the American Ophthalmological Society as the first recipient of the "Lucien Howe Medal" in 1922. This award is given to physicians in recognition of outstanding achievements in ophthalmology. In 1930 he was also honored by the Medical Association of Vienna.
One of Koller's patients was a blind ten-year-old boy named Chauncey D. Leake. Leake recovered his sight and, as an adult, discovered the anaesthetic divinyl ether.
Koller was reputedly nicknamed "Coca Koller" for his association with the drug and although he was implored to recognise his status as a public figure due to his discovery of local anaesthesia, he did not engage in autobiography.
- Diamant, H (November 1996). "Should they have got the Nobel Prize?". Adler Museum bulletin. South Africa. 22 (3): 18–20. ISSN 0379-6531. PMID 11619791.
- Wyklicky, H (May 1985). "[100 years of local anesthesia]". Wien. Klin. Wochenschr. Austria. 97 (10): 449–50. ISSN 0043-5325. PMID 3892931.
- Gunther, B (November 1984). "[Karl Koller: centennial of the discovery of local analgesia (1884)]". Revista médica de Chile. Chile. 112 (11): 1181–5. ISSN 0034-9887. PMID 6399393.
- Németh, L (October 1979). "[Károly Pius Koller (1904–1979)]". Orvosi hetilap. Hungary. 120 (42): 2566. ISSN 0030-6002. PMID 394086.
- Honegger, H; Hessler H (October 1970). "[The discovery of local anesthesia. II. The friendship between Karl Koller and Sigmund Freud]". Klinische Monatsblätter für Augenheilkunde. West Germany. 157 (4): 569–78. ISSN 0023-2165. PMID 4921654.
- Honegger, H; Hessler H (September 1970). "[Discovery of local anesthesia by Karl Koller. I]". Klinische Monatsblätter für Augenheilkunde. West Germany. 157 (3): 428–38. ISSN 0023-2165. PMID 4922411.
- PILLAT, A (May 1958). "[The 100th anniversary of Dr. Karl Koller's birth.]". Wien. Klin. Wochenschr. Not Available. 70 (21): 381. ISSN 0043-5325. PMID 13570066.
- "Victory Over Pain-A History of Anaesthesia" by Victor Robinson p246-256