Joe AlwynWikipedia open wikipedia design.
Alwyn in 2018
Joseph Matthew Alwyn
21 February 1991
North London, England
Alwyn was born in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England. Raised in Tufnell Park and Crouch End, North London, Alwyn is the son of a psychotherapist mother and a documentary filmmaker father. He is the great-grandson of composer William Alwyn.
He was educated at the City of London School. Although an "introverted" child, he secretly wanted to be an actor. He became a member of the National Youth Theatre in his late teens. While studying English literature and drama at the University of Bristol, he acted in two student productions at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. After graduating in 2012, he completed a BA in acting at the Royal Central School of Speech & Drama.
Within two weeks of his graduate showcase, in early 2015, Alwyn was cast in the lead role of Ang Lee's 2016 war drama, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, based on Ben Fountain's novel. In 2017, he had a supporting role in the English drama film The Sense of an Ending.
In 2018, he appeared in the period drama films Operation Finale, The Favourite, Boy Erased, and Mary Queen of Scots. In 2019, he co-starred as slave owner Gideon Brodess in the biographical drama Harriet, about abolitionist Harriet Tubman which had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on 10 September. In August, he joined the cast of The Souvenir Part II and in December Alwyn appeared as Bob Cratchit in the BBC/FX three-part miniseries A Christmas Carol.
|2016||Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk||Billy Lynn||Ang Lee|
|2017||The Sense of an Ending||Adrian Finn||Ritesh Batra|
|2018||Operation Finale||Klaus Eichmann||Chris Weitz|
|The Favourite||Samuel Masham||Yorgos Lanthimos||Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Acting Ensemble|
Satellite Award for Best Cast – Motion Picture
|Boy Erased||Henry Wallace||Joel Edgerton|
|Mary Queen of Scots||Robert Dudley||Josie Rourke|
|2019||Harriet||Gideon Brodess||Kasi Lemmons|
|2020||Miss Americana||Himself||Lana Wilson||Cameo|
|TBA||The Souvenir Part II||Joanna Hogg||Post-production|
|TBA||The Last Letter from Your Lover||Laurence Stirling||Augustine Frizzell||Post-production|
|2019||A Christmas Carol||Bob Cratchit||Miniseries|
- "Joe Alwyn". Glamour. UK. Archived from the original on 8 January 2018. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- McLean, Craig (9 February 2017). "Joe Alwyn: the Crouch End boy taking Hollywood by storm". London Evening Standard. UK. Archived from the original on 9 February 2017. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
...26-year-old Crouch Ender...
- Flynn, Paul (4 November 2016). "Joe Alwyn Was Destined To Be a Star". i-D. I-D.Vice.com. Archived from the original on 26 February 2017. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- Hattersley, Giles. "Joe Alwyn On Fame, Romance, And His Blockbuster-Filled Autumn". British Vogue.
- "Bright Future". Esquire. UK. 11 November 2016. Archived from the original on 11 November 2016. Retrieved 20 May 2017 – via PressReader.com.
- Powers, John (16 August 2016). "Breakout Star Joe Alwyn on Landing the Role of a Lifetime". Vogue. Archived from the original on 9 June 2017. Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- "Joe Alwyn on CSSD". Royal Central School of Speech & Drama. Archived from the original on 1 March 2017. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Ford, Rebecca; Kit, Borys (25 February 2015). "Ang Lee's 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' Finds Lead". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- "Royal Central School of Speech And Drama BA Acting Showcase 2015". The Stage. 26 January 2015. Archived from the original on 9 June 2017. Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- Fear, David (11 November 2016). "Joe Alwyn: Meet the Breakout Star of 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk'". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 17 November 2016. Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- Erbland, Kate (10 November 2016). "Meet Joe Alwyn, Breakout Star of Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk". IndieWire.com. Archived from the original on 15 January 2017. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- Akel, Joseph (13 September 2016). "Front and Center with Joe Alwyn". VMan. Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (25 February 2015). "Ang Lee Picks Newcomer Joe Alwyn for TriStar's 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk'". Variety. Archived from the original on 28 February 2017. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (8 September 2015). "CBS Films Pre-Buys 'The Sense of an Ending' – Toronto". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 16 February 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (8 September 2017). "'Billy Lynn' Star Joe Alwyn Joins Russell Crowe in 'Boy Erased,' Oscar Isaac in 'Operation Finale' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- Ford, Rebecca (3 March 2017). "'Billy Lynn' Star Joe Alwyn Joins Emma Stone in 'The Favourite' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "Joe Alwyn Joins Margot Robbie in 'Mary Queen of Scots' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (13 September 2018). "Focus Features Moving Forward With Harriet Tubman Pic Starring Cynthia Erivo". Deadline. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- Lang, Brent (23 July 2019). "Toronto Film Festival: 'Joker,' 'Ford v Ferrari,' 'Hustlers' Among Big Premieres". Variety. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- Barfield, Charles (13 August 2019). "Harris Dickinson, Charlie Heaton & Joe Alwyn Cast In Joanna Hogg's Upcoming 'Souvenir' Sequel [Exclusive]". ThePlaylist. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (28 November 2017). "Steven Knight To Adapt Charles Dickens Novels For BBC One; Ridley Scott, Tom Hardy Exec Producing". Deadline. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- Poenisch, Emily (7 December 2018). "Prepare to See Joe Alwyn in, Well, Everything". Esquire.
- Boucher, Ashley (24 May 2019). "Taylor Swift and Boyfriend Joe Alwyn Hold Hands as They Stroll the Streets of Paris". People.