From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
This article does not cite any sources. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Part of a series on|
Manuel Castells states that information economy is not mutually exclusive with manufacturing economy. He finds that some countries such as Germany and Japan exhibit the informatization of manufacturing processes. In a typical conceptualization, however, information economy is considered a "stage" or "phase" of an economy, coming after stages of hunting, agriculture, and manufacturing. This conceptualization can be widely observed regarding information society, a closely related but wider concept.
There are numerous characterizations of the transformations some economies have undergone. Service economy, high-tech economy, late-capitalism, post-Fordism, and global economy are among the most frequently used terms, having some overlaps and contradictions among themselves. Closer terms to information economy would include knowledge economy.
- Creative industry
- Digital economy
- Electronic business
- Electronic commerce
- Information superhighway
- Information market
- Information revolution
- Information society
- Intellectual property
- Knowledge economy
- Knowledge market
- Knowledge policy
- Surveillance capitalism
- Virtual economy
Also, see The Effective Executive by Peter Drucker (1966); Drucker describes the manual worker (page 2) who works with his hands and produces "stuff". The knowledge worker (page 3) works with his head and produces ideas, knowledge, and information.
- Boyett, Joseph H. And Jimmie T. Boyett. 2001. The Guru Guide to the Knowledge Economy. John Wiley& Sons. John Wiley & Sons
- Coyle, Diane. 1997. The Weightless World. MIT Press.
- Evans, Philip B. and Thomas S. Wurster. 2000. Blown to Bits. Harvard Business School Press.
- Mcgee, James and Lawrence Prusak. 1993. Managing Information Strategically. Random House
- Negroponte, Nicholas. 1996. Being Digital.
- Rayport, Jeffrey F. and John J. Sviokla. 1995. Exploiting the Virtual Value Chain. in: Harvard Business Review (no. 1995)
- Rifkin, Jeremy. 2000. The Age of Access. Penguin Putnam.
- Schwartz, Evan I. 1999. Digital Darwinism. Broadway Books.
- Shapiro, Carl and Hal R. Varian. 1999. Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy. Harvard Business School Press.
- Tapscott, Donald. 1996. The Digital Economy. McGraw-Hill.