From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|68th Prime Minister of Syria|
|Assumed office |
30 August 2020
Acting: 11 June 2020 – 30 August 2020
|Deputy||Ali Abdullah Ayyoub|
|Preceded by||Imad Khamis|
|Minister of Water Resources|
26 November 2018 – 30 August 2020
|Preceded by||Nabil al-Hassan|
|Succeeded by||Tammam Raad|
|Minister of Public Works and Housing|
9 February 2013 – 26 November 2018
|Preceded by||Yasser Sebaei|
|Succeeded by||Suhail Abdul Latif|
|Born||1953 (age 67–68)|
Al-Tah, Idlib, Syrian Republic
|Political party||Ba'ath Party|
|National Progressive Front|
|Alma mater||University of Aleppo (BS)|
Hussein Arnous (Arabic: حسين عرنوس; born 1953) is a Syrian politician who has served as Prime Minister of Syria since 11 June 2020. Arnous's appointment was announced by state media shortly after it was reported that President Bashar al-Assad had fired previous Prime Minister Imad Khamis amid a worsening economic crisis.
Early life and education
After graduating from university, Arnous worked with the Idlib Engineering Syndicate. From 1992 to 2002, he managed the General Company for Roads and Bridges. In 2004, Arnous was selected to serve as executive director of the General Establishment for Road Transport. He then served as governor of Deir ez-Zor and Quneitra governorates. In 2014, Arnous was included on a list of Syrian government ministers barred from entering the United States or European Union.
Arnous was confirmed by President Assad to be the prime minister of a new government on 31 August 2020.
- "Syria's Assad replaces prime minister: State media". CNBC. 2020-06-11. Retrieved 2020-06-12.
- Reuters (2020-06-11). "Syria's Assad Removes Prime Minister as Economic Hardship Grows". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-06-12.
- "EU Targets Ministers, UAE Firm in Latest Syria Sanctions | Voice of America - English". www.voanews.com. Retrieved 2020-06-12.
- "Assad Dismisses Prime Minister". The Syrian Observer. 2020-06-12. Retrieved 2020-06-12.
- "Syria Designations". www.treasury.gov. Retrieved 2020-06-12.
- "Treasury Sanctions Syrian Regime Officials and Supporters". www.treasury.gov. Retrieved 2020-06-12.
- "Ministry of public works and Housing | Eng. Hussein Arnous meets the Iranian delegation participating in the reconstruction exhibition of Syria". mopwh.gov.sy. Retrieved 2020-06-12.
- "Syria's Assad dismisses prime minister as economic crisis grows". La Prensa Latina Media. 2020-06-11. Retrieved 2020-06-12.
- "Syria's Assad removes prime minister as economic hardship grows". Reuters. 2020-06-11. Retrieved 2020-06-12.
- AFP, French Press Agency- (2020-08-30). "Syria's Assad designates new government headed by PM Arnous". Daily Sabah. Retrieved 2020-09-03.