GentefiedWikipedia open wikipedia design.
|Created by||Marvin Lemus & Linda Yvette Chávez|
|Music by||Brian D'Oliveira|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||25–32 minutes|
|Original release||February 21, 2020|
Gentefied is an American comedy-drama web television series created by Marvin Lemus and Linda Yvette Chávez, that premiered on Netflix on February 21, 2020. The series stars Karrie Martin, Joseph Julian Soria, Carlos Santos and Joaquín Cosio.
Gentefied follows the story of "three Mexican-American cousins and their struggle to chase the American Dream, even while that same dream threatens the things they hold most dear: their neighborhood, their immigrant grandfather and the family taco shop".
Cast and characters
- Joaquín Cosío as Casimiro "Pop" Morales, a widowed owner of "Mama Fina's"
- J.J. Soria as Erik Morales, one of Pop's grandsons with a baby on the way
- Karrie Martin as Ana Morales, one of Pop's granddaughters and an artist
- Carlos Santos as Chris Morales, one of Pop's grandsons and a chef
- Julissa Calderon as Yessika Castillo, Ana's girlfriend who is a local activist
- Jaime Alvarez as Javier, a local musician
- Greg Ellis as Chef Austin, Chris' boss at "Mangia" who is also the executive chef
- Annie Gonzalez as Lidia Solis, Erik's pregnant highly educated girlfriend
- Bianca Melgar as Nayeli Morales, Ana's sister and another of Pop's granddaughters
- Laura Patalano as Beatriz Morales, Ana and Nayeli's mother who is a seamstress
- Rafael Sigler as Pancho Solis, Lidia's father
- Al Patiño as Chuey
- Brenda Banda as Norma, one of Pop's employees
- Felipe Esparza as Crazy Dave
- Michelle Ortiz as Connie
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Casimiro"||Marvin Lemus||Marvin Lemus & Linda Yvette Chávez||February 21, 2020|
|2||"Bail Money"||Marvin Lemus||Marvin Lemus & Linda Yvette Chávez||February 21, 2020|
|3||"Bad Hombres"||America Ferrera||Alessia Costantini||February 21, 2020|
|4||"Unemployed AF"||America Ferrera||Arielle Díaz||February 21, 2020|
|5||"The Mural"||Marta Cunningham||Linda Yvette Chávez||February 21, 2020|
|6||"The Grapevine"||Marta Cunningham||Marvin Lemus||February 21, 2020|
|7||"Brown Love"||Aurora Guerrero||Monica Macer||February 21, 2020|
|8||"Women's Work"||Aurora Guerrero||Emilia Serrano||February 21, 2020|
|9||"Protest Tacos"||Andrew Ahn||Monica Macer & Camila María Concepción & Jamie Bess Tunkel||February 21, 2020|
|10||"Delfina"||Andrew Ahn||Linda Yvette Chávez & Marvin Lemus||February 21, 2020|
On February 6, 2019, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a series order for a ten-episode first season. The series is created by Marvin Lemus and Linda Yvette Chávez who are credited as executive producers alongside Monica Macer, Aaliyah Williams, America Ferrera, Charles D. King, Kim Roth and Teri Weinberg. America Ferrera will also be directing two episodes of the series. MACRO, Take Fountain and Yellow Brick Road will be involved in the production of the series. The series was released on February 21, 2020.
In April 2019, it was announced that Karrie Martin, Joseph Julian Soria, Carlos Santos and Joaquín Cosio would star in the series. In May 2019, it was reported that Julissa Calderon, Annie Gonzalez, Laura Patalano, Felipe Esparza, Rafael Sigler, Jaime Alvarez, Bianca Melgar, Michelle Ortiz and Alejandro Patiño were cast in recurring roles.
On January 21, 2020, Netflix released the official trailer for the series.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the series has an approval rating of 87% based on 15 reviews, with an average rating of 7.6/10. The website's critical consensus states, "If at times a bit blunt, Gentefied's gente-centric approach to the realities of gentrification is as strikingly personal as it is hilariously relatable." On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 70 out of 100, based on 11 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- Petski, Denise (January 21, 2020). "'Gentefied' Latinx Comedy Gets Netflix Premiere Date & Official Trailer". DeadlineHollywood. Retrieved January 21, 2020.
- Pedersen, Erik (February 6, 2019). "'Gentefied': Netflix Orders Latinx Dramedy From America Ferrera, Teri Weinberg, Macro & Web Series Duo". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Mathews, Liam (January 21, 2020). "Watch the Trailer for Netflix's New Spanglish Comedy Gentefied". TV Guide. Retrieved January 22, 2020.
- Grobar, Matt (January 29, 2020). "'Gentefied' EP America Ferrera: Netflix Comedy Series Captures "All Of The Things That I Am" — Sundance Studio". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
- Petski, Denise; Andreeva, Nellie (April 5, 2019). "'Gentefied': Karrie Martin, JJ Soria, Carlos Santos & Joaquin Cosio To Star In Netflix Latinx Dramedy Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Porter, Rick (April 5, 2019). "Netflix's America Ferrera-Produced Latinx Dramedy 'Gentefied' Sets Cast". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (May 22, 2019). "'Gentefied': Netflix Sets Recurring Cast For Latinx Dramedy Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Dry, Jude (January 21, 2020). "'Gentefied' Trailer: Bilingual Comedy Makes a Meal Out of LA Gentrification". IndieWire. Retrieved January 30, 2020.
- "Gentefied: Season 1 (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved March 1, 2020.
- "Gentefied: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved March 1, 2020.