General movements assessmentWikipedia open wikipedia design.
A general movements assessment is a type of medical assessment used in the diagnosis of cerebral palsy. It involves measuring movements that occur spontaneously among those less than four months of age and appears to be most accurate test for the condition. These include the tonic neck reflex, grasp reflex, Moro reflex, tongue thrust reflex and rooting reflexes. The quality of the child's general movements gives information about how the brain connects, particularly the periventricular white matter. The GMA is best performed 3 months post-term (if the child was born prematurely, the assessment date is not at three months old, but is conducted at the same time as if they were born at term). At around that time, in typical infants, a pattern called 'fidgety movements' is evident, and if the movements are abnormal or the fidgety movements are not apparent, the child is at risk of developing CP. A pattern known as 'writhing movements' frequently gives false positives for cerebral palsy.
- McIntyre, S; Morgan, C; Walker, K; Novak, I (Nov 2011). "Cerebral palsy--don't delay". Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews. 17 (2): 114–29. doi:10.1002/ddrr.1106. PMID 23362031.
- Bosanquet, M; Copeland, L; Ware, R; Boyd, R (May 2013). "A systematic review of tests to predict cerebral palsy in young children". Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology. 55 (5): 418–26. doi:10.1111/dmcn.12140. PMID 23574478.
- Robin C. Meyers; Steven J. Bachrach; Virginia A. Stallings (2017). "Cerebral Palsy". In Shirley W. Ekvall; Valli K. Ekvall. Pediatric and Adult Nutrition in Chronic Diseases, Developmental Disabilities, and Hereditary Metabolic Disorders: Prevention, Assessment, and Treatment. Oxford Scholarship Online. doi:10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199398911.003.0009. ISBN 9780199398911. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- Hadders-Algra, Mijna (24 September 2014). "Early Diagnosis and Early Intervention in Cerebral Palsy". Frontiers in Neurology. 5. doi:10.3389/fneur.2014.00185. PMC 4173665. PMID 25309506.
- Herskind, Anna; Greisen, Gorm; Nielsen, Jens Bo (January 2015). "Early identification and intervention in cerebral palsy". Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. 57 (1): 29–36. doi:10.1111/dmcn.12531. PMID 25041565.
- Kwong, Amanda K L; Fitzgerald, Tara L; Doyle, Lex W; Cheong, Jeanie L Y; Spittle, Alicia J (22 February 2018). "Predictive validity of spontaneous early infant movement for later cerebral palsy: a systematic review". Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. doi:10.1111/dmcn.13697.