Examiner Newspaper GroupWikipedia open wikipedia design.
The Examiner group of newspapers are a set of four community newspapers owned by the Hearst Corporation, doing business as Houston Community Newspapers (HCN). The publications include the Bellaire Examiner, Memorial Examiner, River Oaks Examiner, and West University Examiner. All four newspapers were headquartered in the HCN Southwest Office-Central facility in Houston.
The Examiner Newspaper Group, Inc. was previously a separate newspaper company headquartered in Rice Village, Houston. It was later acquired by ASP Westward and later 1013 Star Communications, before becoming a part of the Hearst Corporation in 2016.
In 2001 George Boehme and Edwin Henry started the group, with Boehme as the publisher and Henry as the editor. The first publication from the group was the West University Examiner. The second one was the River Oaks Examiner, and the third publication, the Memorial Examiner, followed.
In 2006 George Boehme sold the Examiner Newspaper Group to ASP Westward, doing business as "Houston Community Newspapers", for $2.1 million. At the time, the purchase price was not disclosed.
In 2010 the Houston Press ranked the Examiner Newspaper Group division of the HCN the "Best Community Newspaper Houston 2010".
In 2012 1013 Star Communications acquired Houston Community Newspapers from ASP Westward. In 2016 the Hearst Corporation acquired Houston Community Newspapers. It is the parent company of the Houston Chronicle. As part of the deal the Examiner papers became a part of the Hearst Corporation.
- Downing, Margaret. "HISD Trustee Harvin Moore Wants the State to Man Up" (Archive). Houston Press. Wednesday February 23, 2011. Retrieved on April 14, 2014.
- "2013 Contact Page" (Archive). Houston Community Newspapers. Retrieved on April 14, 2014. "SOUTHWEST OFFICE - CENTRAL Examiner (West U) (River Oaks) (Bellaire) Memorial Examiner[...]Address 7613 Katy Freeway Houston, Texas 77024"
- Davis, Mitchell P. (editor). Power Media Bluebook: W/ Talk Show Guest Directory (15th Edition). Broadcast Interview Source, Inc, September 30, 2005. ISBN 0934333505, 9780934333504. p. 44. "2444 Times, 100F Houston, TX 77005"
- Home (). Examiner Newspaper Group. November 28, 2003. Retrieved on April 14, 2014. "2444 Times Blvd #100F • Houston • TX • 77005"
- "Rice Village Businesses" (Archive). Rice Village Online. Retrieved on April 14, 2014.
- "Best Community Newspaper Houston 2004 - " (Archive). Houston Press. Retrieved on April 14, 2014.
- Zheng, Zen T.C. "Local news service operator sued." Houston Chronicle. January 16, 2008. Retrieved on April 14, 2014.
- Zheng, Zen T.C. "Legal battle against local media outlets rages on" (Archive). Houston Chronicle. March 14, 2008. Retrieved on April 14, 2014.
- "AROUND THE REGION" (Archive). Houston Chronicle. April 29, 2006. Business. Retrieved on April 14, 2014.
- "Best Community Newspaper Houston 2010 - Examiner Newspaper Group, Houston Community Newspapers" (Archive). Houston Press. Retrieved on April 14, 2014.
- Pulsinelli, Olivia (2012-08-28). "Houston Community Newspapers sold to Nevada company". Houston Business Journal. Retrieved 2017-01-22.
- Lewis, Al (2016-07-29). "Hearst purchases community newspapers across Houston's suburbs". Katy Rancher at the Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-01-22.
- "Hearst Purchases Locally-Focused Houston Community Newspapers & Media Group". Hearst Corporation at MarketWired. 2016-07-29. Retrieved 2017-01-22.
- Official website - Bellaire-River Oaks-West University Examiner
- Official website - Memorial Examiner
- Your Examiner News at the Wayback Machine (archive index) (Examiner under 10/13)
- Examiner Newspaper Group at the Wayback Machine (archive index) (as an independent publication and while under ASP Westward)