Doddington, CheshireWikipedia open wikipedia design.
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish|| |
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Doddington is a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England, which lies to the north east of Audlem and to the south of Crewe. Nearby villages include Blakenhall, Bridgemere, Checkley, Hatherton, Walgherton and Wybunbury. The A51 runs north–south through the parish.
In 2001, the civil parish had a population of a little under 50. At the 2011 census the population remained less than 100. Details are included in the civil parish of Plumley.
Doddington is administered by Doddington and District Parish Council, which also includes the parishes of Blakenhall, Bridgemere, Checkley cum Wrinehill, Hunsterson and Lea. From 1974 the civil parish was served by Crewe and Nantwich Borough Council, which was succeeded on 1 April 2009 by the new unitary authority of Cheshire East . Doddington falls in the parliamentary constituency of Crewe and Nantwich, which has been represented by Edward Timpson since a by-election in 2008.
The 18th-century mansion of Doddington Hall, by Samuel Wyatt, is located within the parish. The park falls mainly within Doddington, with parts in the adjacent civil parishes of Bridgemere and Hunsterson. It was landscaped by Capability Brown and includes the tower of the 14th-century Doddington Castle, St John's Church, and several meres and areas of woodland, including Chapel Wood and George's Wood. Also within the grounds is the large mere of Doddington Pool (or Doddington Lake), which is used for sailing, fishing and bird watching. The National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens lists 100 hectares of the grounds at grade II.
- Doddington and District Parish Council Official Web Site Archived September 29, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. (accessed 18 August 2007)
- Cheshire (Structural Changes) Order 2008 Archived May 17, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Cheshire County Council: Interactive Mapping: Crewe and Nantwich (accessed 27 January 2009)
- Images of England: Doddington Hall (accessed 17 August 2007)
- Doddington Hall, near Nantwich, Cheshire (accessed 17 August 2007)
- 'Doddington – Donisthorpe' in A Topographical Dictionary of England, pp. 63–69 (1848) (accessed 17 August 2007)
- Genuki: Doddington (accessed 17 August 2007)
- "U.K. Database of Historic Parks and Gardens: Doddington Park". University of York. Archived from the original on 2008-02-10. Retrieved 2008-03-11.
- Combining Cheshire County Council: Local Statistics: Bridgemere - Doddington Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. & Neighbourhood Statistics: Bridgemere CP (accessed 17 August 2007)
Media related to Doddington, Cheshire at Wikimedia Commons