From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Evan Rubinson |
(President & CEO)
|Owner||Armadillo Enterprises, Inc.|
Number of employees
Its products include solid-body electric guitars, bass guitars, and acoustic guitars. The company also distributes resonators, basses, banjos, mandolins, ukuleles, amplifiers, guitar cases, accessories, and custom guitar pickups.
The company was founded in Chicago, Illinois, in 1976 by Dean Zelinsky, but came to prominence under Elliott Rubinson in 1997 after his company, Armadillo Enterprises, purchased the Dean trade name.
With the advent of the Superstrat and grunge music, Dean Zelinsky sold the business to Oscar Medeiros of Tropical Music, who gained ownership of the brand from 1986, and until 1995 focused on selling to Latin bands overseas. The company had all but disappeared from the American market at that point.
Armadillo Enterprises, under the leadership of Elliott Rubinson, then purchased the Dean trade name in 1997. Rubinson, a musician who toured as a bass player for the Michael Schenker Group, Uli Jon Roth and Michael Angelo Batio expanded Dean's products to include acoustic, electric and bass guitars; mandolins, banjos and ukuleles with prices from less than $99 to more than $13,000. Rubinson had previously built Thoroughbred Music, a music retail store, music supply, and music clinic. Rubinson sold Thoroughbred to Sam Ash Music in 1999 so he could focus on Dean.
After getting a number of endorser-user guitarists (including Dimebag Darrell, Michael Angelo Batio, Michael Schenker, Leslie West, Dave Mustaine, Michael Amott, and Jacky Vincent), Dean Guitars' popularity increased. Under Armadillo Enterprises the company outgrew its Clearwater site and moved to a larger building that includes a custom guitar shop. Today the company also assembles guitar pickups and guitar parts.
In February 2017, Elliott "Dean" Rubinson died from cancer. Richard Ash, CEO of Sam Ash Music Stores, said, "Elliott was a true genius. He would have been successful in any business but he went with his passion for music and built his business around it... He was truly one of my heroes. RIP Elliott Rubinson."
Dean also has many signature electric guitar models. The company offers a number of Dimebag Darrell models.
The company has also worked closely with Dave Mustaine of Megadeth on a line of guitars. These cost from around $300 for imports to over $6000 for USA-built instruments. The Dean USA Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT Holy Grail  electric guitar, a more recent incarnation of the V introduced in 2016, is an example of the brand.
The company's bass guitar models include the ML, V, Z, Cadillac, Edge, Metal Man / Demonator, Hillsboro, Entwistle, EVO, Razorback, and Custom Zone. Dean also imports and markets other string instruments such as resonator guitars, mandolins and banjos.
In 2017, Dean unveiled several new musical instruments to commemorate the company's 40th anniversary.
In 2018 the company formed a partnership between Dean USA Custom Shop and Angel's Envy Bourbon to produce the Dean Envy Series guitars made from whiskey cask barrels.
- "Business: Dean gets new digs, designs". 2005-02-27. Archived from the original on 2005-02-27. Retrieved 2017-02-09.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "A Brief History of Dean Guitars". www.streetdirectory.com. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "Episode 42: Elliott Rubinson, CEO of Dean Guitars, ddrum, and Luna Guitars breaks down the music biz like few can". www.musicbizcast.com. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Dean Guitars CEO Elliott Dean Rubinson Talks Gigging with Uli Jon Roth, Balancing Life As a Musician". Guitar World. 2014-06-02. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "Security Check Required". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/1999/04/12/daily3.html". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "Elliott Rubinson". NAMM.org. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- Jim Aardema (2013-04-08), Branding and Marketing Planning - Dean Guitars, Luna Guitars, Ddrum Drums, retrieved 2017-03-03
- DeanGuitarsVideos (2016-09-28), Dean Guitars USA Shop, retrieved 2017-02-09
- DeanGuitarsVideos (2009-04-29), Dean USA DMT Pickups, Live at NAMM'09, retrieved 2017-02-09
- "Elliott Rubinson: The Man Who Made it Happen - All That Shreds!". All That Shreds!. 2017-02-13. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Sam Ash Music Stores on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- Dean USA Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT Holy Grail
- new musical instruments
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dean Guitars.|