The American Historical ReviewWikipedia open wikipedia design.
|Edited by||Alex Lichtenstein|
|Am. Hist. Rev.|
|ISSN|| 0002-8762 (print)|
The American Historical Review is the official publication of the American Historical Association. It targets readers interested in all periods and facets of history. It has been described as the premier journal of American history in the world, and is also highly respected as a general historical journal.
It was established in 1895 as a joint effort between the history department at Cornell University and its counterpart at Harvard, modeled on The English Historical Review and the French Revue historique, "for the promotion of historical studies, the collection and preservation of historical documents and artifacts, and the dissemination of historical research."
The journal is published in February, April, June, October and December as a book-like academic publication with research papers and book reviews, among other items (each issue typically runs to about 400 pages). Each year approximately 25 articles and review essays and 1,000 book reviews are published.
The editorial offices are located at Indiana University Bloomington, where a small staff produces the publication under the guidance of a 12-member advisory board. From the October 2007 issue until 2011, the journal was published by the University of Chicago Press. In September 2011, it was announced that the journal would be published by Oxford University Press, beginning in 2012.
- Digital Scholarship in the Tenure, Promotion, and Review Process.
- A Comparison of the African-American Presence ...
- "CORNELL'S HISTORICAL DEPARTMENT - Part Taken by It in the Founding of a New Magazine. - Article - NYTimes.com". nytimes.com. 15 April 1895.
- "Oxford University Press to Publish American Historical Review". AHA Today. September 14, 2011. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- Stieg, Margaret F. (1986). "The Spread of Scholarly Historical Periodicals: France, Great Britain, and the United States". The Origin and Development of Scholarly Historical Periodicals. Tuscaloosa: University Alabama Press. pp. 39–81. ISBN 0-8173-0273-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to American Historical Review.|