2014 raid on Idlib city
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|2014 raid on Idlib city|
|Part of the Syrian Civil War|
|Commanders and leaders|
| Abu Waleed al-Libi †|
(local Nusra leader)
| Mohamed Khair al-Sayyed|
(Governor of Idlib)
|Casualties and losses|
|35–70 killed|| 21 killed|
70 captured & executed (rebel claim)
|4 civilians killed|
The 2014 raid on Idlib city refers to a military operation in the Idlib Governorate, during the Syrian Civil War, conducted by mainly Salafi jihadists backed by Islamist rebels against the Syrian Government.
Rebels from the al-Nusra Front launched an attack on Idlib city and al-Mastouma overnight in order to cut off the city from the south. During this attack, suicide cars were detonated at four Army checkpoints surrounding the city, killing "dozens" of soldiers, while rebels captured Tell al-Mastouma. The Army later recaptured the hill. According to the SOHR, 10 soldiers and nine rebels were killed on the hill. The rebels also managed to infiltrate the city and seized the governor mansion and the police headquarters with help from members of the local police and people’s committees. They took advantage of a power cut before dawn according to the Idlib police chief. These buildings were recaptured by pro-government forces later that day after the rebels pulled out of the city. According to an opposition activist in the city, the rebels continue to hold the surrounding checkpoints that they took in morning.
According to the SOHR, at least 20 pro-government fighters, 15 rebels and four civilians were killed during the operation, while Al-Masdar placed the death toll at 21 government fighters (17 NDF and 4 Army) and 70 rebel fighters. Casualties among insurgents include a Jund al-Aqsa sleeper cell, which was discovered after the military intercepted rebel radio communications, and local rebel commanders. Al-Nusra Front claimed that it also had cut off the city, captured 12 soldiers and seized two tanks during the operation.
- "Nusra Front opens new front in Syria's Idlib". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Idleb Province: 27-10-2014". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Isis attack on Idlib: Assad's army leaders 'slaughtered' as jihadists nearly take Syrian provincial capital The Independent, 28 October 2014
- Ahmed Marshal. "مصرع 15 مقاتلاً من جبهة النصرة والكتائب وجند الأقصى، ومقتل 20 عنصراً من قوات النظام في اشتباكات مدينة إدلب". المرصد السورى لحقوق الإنسان. Archived from the original on October 29, 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- إدارة التحرير. "بالتفاصيل: الجيش السوري يُحبط هجوماً للسيطرة على مدينة إدلب". alhadathnews. Archived from the original on 30 October 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Ahmed Marshal. "هجوم لمقاتلي جبهة النصرة وكتائب إسلامية عل مدينة إدلب". المرصد السورى لحقوق الإنسان. Archived from the original on October 30, 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Jabhat Al-Nusra Storms Idlib City and Suffers Devastating Losses". almasdarnews. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Syria's Nusra Front targets army with four suicide bombings". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Al Jazeera and agencies. "Rebels attack army posts in Syria's Idlib". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Syria Developing: Insurgents Launch Major Attack on Idlib City in Northwest". EA WorldView. Retrieved 30 October 2014.