2003 UEFA Super Cup
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Event||UEFA Super Cup|
|Date||29 August 2003|
|Venue||Stade Louis II, Monaco|
|Man of the Match||Andriy Shevchenko (Milan)|
|Referee||Graham Barber (England)|
The 2003 UEFA Super Cup was played on 29 August 2003 between Milan of Italy and Porto of Portugal. Milan qualified by defeating Juventus in the 2003 UEFA Champions League Final, while Porto qualified by beating Celtic in the 2003 UEFA Cup Final. Milan won the match 1–0. After the match, defeated Porto manager José Mourinho said, "We leave here convinced we can go into the UEFA Champions League with the hope and certainty we can compete with any team." They finished the season as 2003–04 UEFA Champions League winners.
|Team||Qualification||Previous participation (bold indicates winners)|
|Milan||2002–03 UEFA Champions League winners||1973, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1994|
|Porto||2002–03 UEFA Cup winners||1987|
- 2002–03 UEFA Champions League
- 2002–03 UEFA Cup
- A.C. Milan in European football
- FC Porto in international football competitions
- "Shevchenko show in Monaco". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 29 August 2003. Archived from the original on 5 January 2013. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Referee appointed for UEFA Super Cup in Monaco" (PDF). UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 27 August 2003. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Match Press Kit (2009)" (PDF). UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. p. 18. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Lineups". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 29 August 2003. Archived from the original on 5 January 2013. Retrieved 1 June 2012.