1958 European Cup Final
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Event||1957–58 European Cup|
|After extra time|
|Date||28 May 1958|
|Venue||Heysel Stadium, Brussels|
|Referee||Albert Alsteen (Belgium)|
The 1958 European Cup Final was a football match which took place at Heysel Stadium in Brussels, Belgium on 28 May 1958. It was contested by Real Madrid of Spain and Milan of Italy. Real Madrid won 3–2 after extra time to claim their third European Cup in a row.
Route to the final
|Opponent||Agg.||1st leg||2nd leg||Opponent||Agg.||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Bye||Prelim. round||Rapid Wien||6–6 |
|4–1 (H)||2–5 (A)|
|Royal Antwerp||8–1||2–1 (A)||6–0 (H)||First round||Rangers||6–1||4–1 (A)||2–0 (H)|
|Sevilla||10–2||8–0 (H)||2–2 (A)||Quarter-finals||Borussia Dortmund||5–2||1–1 (A)||4–1 (H)|
|Vasas SC||4–2||4–0 (H)||0–2 (A)||Semi-finals||Manchester United||5–2||1–2 (A)||4–0 (H)|
|Real Madrid||3–2 (a.e.t.)||Milan|
|Di Stéfano 74' |
|Report||Schiaffino 59' |
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Shots on target||14||10|
- 1957–58 European Cup
- A.C. Milan in European football
- Real Madrid CF in international football competitions
- Santamaría, who represented his native Uruguay from 1952 to 1957, later switched to representing Spain internationally. However, his first cap for Spain would not come until October of 1957, five months after this match was played.
- Di Stéfano, a native Argentine, had represented both Argentina and Colombia earlier in his international career; however, he became a naturalised citizen of Spain in 1956, and began playing for the Spanish national team in 1957.
- Though more famous as a Uruguay international, the Uruguayan-born Schiaffino was capped by Italy on four occasions, beginning in 1954 (after the conclusion of that year's World Cup) and lasting until 1958.